View Full Version : Ergonomic keyboard/mouse

Ami H
07-04-2003, 12:07 PM
I have just read the PC world article about ergonomic keyboards and mice, and while information on the trackball and its suppliers was provided, the article made mention of touch-pads but did not give any more information on them, including who supplies them.

I have found that using any mouse (though I havent tried the trackball) means having my arm extending out to the side of the keyboard (causing pain) and my hand ends up in an uncomfortable position when grasping the mouse.
I have noticed that using a laptop with its touch pad brings my arms closer in so that my hands are right in front of me, and there is none of that annoying mouse use.

I have also been using the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro but have found that its profile is far too high, and my hand is having to bend up to hit the keys. I know ergonomically speaking that the hand/wrist position should be as neutral as possible (horizontal) and currently the Microsoft keyboard is not providing that.
Strangely enough, the laptop is working quite nicely as it has a flat, low profile, and the overall keyboarding size is very compact.

But, I will not have the use of the laptop soon and while I will have a proper screen I do not want to go back to using the unergonomic keyboard and mouse!

I need someone to help me in finding a low profile compact keyboard that incorporates a touch pad, or maybe a keyboard that will work with a separate touch pad/track ball. As I have no idea where to find a supplier of such an item/s, if there is one at all!

07-04-2003, 12:18 PM
I used to use a logitech trackball till it died a 100 deaths from over use syndrome and replaced with with a USB MS Optical Trackball Mouse. The track balls are I find anyway great as your hand is in one position all the time. You should be able to locate trackballs in stores such as Harvey Normans and Noel Leemings or other such places plus your usual computer shops.

07-04-2003, 12:36 PM
If you don't mind using something designed for a rack:

Generally there isn't a lot of demand for these sort of things (keyboard with touchpad) except for where space is a problem (such as in a 19" rack).

Cherry are the only people who make a "low profile" keyboard that I can think of (click here (http://www.posmicro.com/KEYBOARDS/CHERRY/g84_4100.htm)). Eden Computers (http://www.edencomputers.co.nz/p.aspx?151057) sell them.

Re: the mouse - have you tried using a ged mouse pad or something similar to prop up your wrist while using the mouse? They make a big difference and reduce pain.

07-04-2003, 12:44 PM
I'm going to correct myself here - "Winslet & Winsley" are a NZ company who sell Adesso keyboards with built in touchpads:


Not cheap though!

Ami H
07-04-2003, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info! No I haven't tried a gel pad for use with the mouse but I have had so much trouble with using the mouse that I'm not in a rush to use them again.
The main problem is trying to use a mouse in conjunction with a keyboard where the length of the keyboard means I have to extend my hand out to the side which has caused me to have alot pain in my elbow.
So I thought I would try and hunt out an alternative, like the touch pad or trackball, and figured it would be even better if the were incorporated with the keyboard itself.
The links you provided were great, though, I don't think I want to use the rack, and you are right about the price of the Adesso one you suggested - ouch!

Ami H
07-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks for your advice. I hadn't looked seriously at track balls but I think that I might check them out now.