and what program is the best
And What is the best internet connection
Do you need a different screen
Do you need an aerial....outside or inside
Cost ? Versus TV...?
What else?

stu140103
06-04-2003, 05:07 PM
If I am right do you mean use your pc with the TV e.g. to watch a DVD etc...

olldaddy76
06-04-2003, 06:12 PM
I was thinking that it may be possible to change a PC into a TV and VIEW in the same way we see a TV.......??

godfather
06-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Yes, you need a TV card installed in your PC.

It needs a normal TV antenna (good signal required to overcome PC interference) which plugs into the card. Another cabel from the sound output of the card goes to the line input on your PC audio input.

I have one, and at full screen size the resolution is not as good as a TV, but more modern cards may be better.

I usually have mine in a smaller window in the corner of the screen, and it looks fine there.

godfather
06-04-2003, 07:31 PM
More specific

> IS it possible
Yes
> Is it quality viewing
Is any TV quality! Not as good as a real TV in my opinion

> and what program is the best
Each TV card has its own drivers, its not a case of a "program" that can magically turn a PC into a TV without installing a TV tuner card inside the PC.

> And What is the best internet connection
Internet has no relation to TV in this sense.

> Do you need a different screen
No
> Do you need an aerial....outside or inside
Outside
> Cost ? Versus TV...?
Under $200 for a card I would guess.

> What else?
Needs a reasonably fast PC to run it.

I suspect you are also hinting at live internet feeds from TV stations, not many do that for "real time" programs, and you would need a high speed (broadband) connection, which would be very expensive considering the amount of data you would need to download.

olldaddy76
06-04-2003, 10:52 PM
I presume if TV is possible then Radio Receiving is too....using the same sound card and internet access......is any thing else needed.. I can see soon I will not have to leave my computer room ....PC.... TV...... Radio.... Burning and Scanning...Searching..........what else is needed.......who needs Callipygian........

godfather
06-04-2003, 10:59 PM
Many of the TV cards are also FM radio cards. Mine is, and works fine.

Chilling_Silence
07-04-2003, 10:22 AM
> I presume if TV is possible then Radio Receiving is
> too....using the same sound card and internet
> access......is any thing else needed.. I can see soon
> I will not have to leave my computer room ....PC....
> TV...... Radio.... Burning and
> Scanning...Searching..........what else is
> needed.......who needs Callipygian........

You forgot to add PressF1.... ;-)

I have a TV-Tuner card with Teletext etc.
Its begining to age a little, with drivers (AFAIK) only for Win3.1, 95, and 98.. Maybe they'll work with ME too... but anyways, You can run it on anything P75 or upwards... Full screen at 1024x768 res too they claim.

Newer ones should work on a little more of a PC, what with the OS System Req's being more, so you probably dont need to worry too much about that.

Your HDD size is not essential, unless you're going to be saving your capture to your HDD (For watching Friends later on if you're busy doing your scanning or stuff ;-)).

Im gonna agree with GodFather that the quality doesnt seem as good... its clear and all.. fine tuned, and my aerial is just a budget $15 DSE one..
In a window, it looks great though :-)

I also run my Nintendo/VCR through mine, and that's something great too, being able to save the old family vid's to a CD so you know it's a whole lot less likely to deteriorate over time :-)

check http://www.pricespy.co.nz for pricing.

IMHO - Its worth the buy if you're considering it.. for the small price, and its dead easy to get going!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

olldaddy76
07-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all your input...it is very interesting.....Yes I should have included PRESS F1..Now for a simple diversion but if there is more...... PRESS F1.......I thought by doing a copy and paste the text would change to PURPLE but did didn't.
How is this purple text produced and don't say from the computer as that is too simple and I should have thought of it.......but HOW?

godfather
07-04-2003, 12:43 PM
The coloured text is when you select "quote original" from just above the input box when replying, it puts a ">" in the beginning which triggers a colour change

> like this
>>like this
>>>like this
>>>>like this

olldaddy76
07-04-2003, 04:24 PM
I was very interested in your remark about putting videos on CD but HOW....? Please explain as though I maybe an idiot....but i guess there are other idiots who would like to know too..

godfather
07-04-2003, 05:20 PM
You need a "video capture card", and TV cards usually have this added functionality.

They have a "video in" socket as well as an Antenna input socket.

So, if you play a videotape on your VCR, you connect the "video out" on the VCR to the "video in" on the TV card.
You connect the "audio out" on the VCR to the "audio in" on the PC sound card input.

The software that comes with the TV card will allow you to save any video and audio, either from the TV card itself or from the "Video in" and "audio in" connections.

Play the tape, select the PC to "record" and you get a digital copy from the tape.

You need plenty of hard drive space, and a reasonably fast PC to do it, but it works.

You can then save the file to CD as a "Video Compact Disk" (VCD) and play it on a standard DVD player.

The advantage over the tape is that tapes have a definite shelf life, they will suffer from the magnetic particles separating from the plastic ribbon. Something like 10 years? In digital form its probably OK for 100 years+

olldaddy76
07-04-2003, 09:45 PM
THANKS for the very lucid explanation....I hope it was of interest to many of us.....