PDA

View Full Version : 802.11b drivers for linux

forrest44
06-04-2003, 03:36 PM
Recently I had a wireless brodband internet connection installed, in which a little dish/antena (on a USB port) communicates with a mast on a hill.

I wan't to get it going on linux (mandrake 9.0 to be exact), but I can't find any model nubers or anything (therefore I can't search for drivers on the net) - all I can work out is that it is a 'miniUSB wireless adapter'.

Is there a generic 1-for-all type driver for linux for USB 802.11b adapters?

what do I do?

Graham L
06-04-2003, 03:44 PM
You've got two problems there. :D It's USB :_| and it's new technology. Unless the manufacturer has created Linux software, OR Linux people have bought that unit AND the manufacturers have provided the appropriate technical documentation so the Linux pople can write the drivers ...

Have a look at the April PC Authority magazine, and see what they think of the Windows software for 80211.x hardware. :D

But try "801.11b linux" on google. I'm sure you'll find lots of discussion. It's a hot topic. But I don't think you'll find a "generic" driver. :-(

Chilling_Silence
06-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Goto DSE's Website (dse.co.nz) and look for their 802.11b WLAN adapter, there's a drivers section which will take you to another website for 802.11b Wireless Linux Drivers, have a hunt round there :-)