PDA

View Full Version : IE6/Outlook Express

withersn
06-04-2003, 01:54 PM
I think that the problem has arisen since I installed Service Pack 1 for Windows XP Pro. (not certain!)
I am unable to setup Outlook Express as my default Mail handler.
In outlook Express/Tools/Optioms/General I see the line saying "This application is NOT the default Mail handler"
I click on Make Default/Apply/OK but this does not install Outlook Express as my Mail handler.

In Control Panel/Internet Properties/Programs I am unable to install Outlook Express , the option is blank and I can't change it.
My News handler is shown as Outlook Express.
Can anyone help. Thanks.

tommy
06-04-2003, 02:38 PM
This might help:

Why can't I set OE as the default email client?

All of these problems indicate that OE is not properly configured as the default email client on your computer. To be sure OE is the default mail client, close OE, click Start| Run and enter this command line, complete with quotes, spaces and the /reg switch:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg

Of course change the path if you installed OE elsewhere.

Now click Start| Settings| Control Panel, double-click Internet Options, then click on the Programs tab, and verify that OE is now the default email client. (You can also get there from the IE Tools| Internet Options menu). Then open OE and click Tools| Options, and at the bottom of the General tab, verify that OE is set as the default. If it is, the "Make Default" button will be grayed out. If not, click the button.

Taken from here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#reregOE