PDA

View Full Version : Connecting 2 computers to Jetstart

Clint
06-04-2003, 02:25 PM
Hi,

A relative of mine has just connected to Jetstart and wants it set up so that both the house computer and his flatmate's desktop can be connected at the same time. Could you please tell me what the most cost effective way of doing this would be, what parts I would need etc. The flatmate has not yet moved in so the only info I have on their system is that it is a brand new laptop, I assume it runs Windows XP. The house system is an Pentium 2 400 running Windows 98, 4 gig hard drive and 64MB RAM. As far as I know, neither has a network card installed. Both of them are completely computer illiterate so it would also need to have the minimum of mucking around with after it is set up, so I don't end up spending every weekend 'round there fixing it.

Thanks

cyberchuck
06-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Hey
Setting up a network would probably be the cheapest and easiest way. Read the Faq on Networking (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21674) for all the details and stuff needed etc.

CyberChuck

BootyLicious
06-04-2003, 02:39 PM
You need to network cards one for each computer (the new laptop should have one installed) and a cross over cable.

this is cheap but the computer with the adsl modem must be on and coneected to the internet for the other computer to get to the internet.

Terry Porritt
06-04-2003, 04:40 PM
The alternative to Bootys suggestion would be to go for an ADSL router, and a switch and network cards. That way either or both computers can be on or off. That is, neither is dependent on the other. It isnt the cheapest way by any means, but would probably cause less angst in the long run.

Murray P
06-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Hi

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guide.htm a good site along with the Faq to look at.

I use an external Adsl modem/router and a network switch (rather than a hub) to connect 2 comps with network cards to the internet. An added bonus is the a level of security the router gives for your internet connection. Total cost about $360- including 25m of cat 5E cable and RJ45 connectors to plug it all together. Router purchased 2nd hand, cable and RJ45's thru sparky mate (fraction of price of say DSE). Knowledge was free from good people of PF1, PF1 Faq and the above site :)

Another method is to employ 2 network cards in one comp and one in each other comp connected. The comp with 2 cards is connected to the net by an Adsl modem via 1 card and to the local network by the other card. This comp must be on to share the Adsl connection. It can be a bit tricky setting up the 2 cards (diff brands/chips help) as it is hard to distinguish which is which when configuring your network (TCP/IP for eg).

HTH Cheers

Murray P