PDA

View Full Version : Where is Wine and WineX???

hamstar
06-04-2003, 01:33 PM
i have just installed mandrake 9.1 (with instructions from Graham L,PoWa,Phoenix,RodJ) but where can i find the emulators Wine and WineX. WineX is the emulator for windows games isn't it?

Chilling_Silence
06-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Wine can be found from http://www.winehq.com (or maybe .org), I'm pretty sure it comes with Mandrake 9.x, IF you choose to install it that is.

Check on the CD's, its a single file :-)

WineX is different however. I wrote a review (Search for Chilling_Silence and WineX in the PF1 archives) about it, and it does normally cost... but it is for games, as it emulates a C:\ Drive, Im not too sure how WINE works though.

WineX is made by Transgaming technologies, not too sure of the URL sorry, but check on google, and follow your nose :-)

Hope this helps

Chilling_Silence

hamstar
08-04-2003, 01:29 AM
thanks for the site. I got wine. 8 meg download. now it wants me to compile it or something. it says to type in the comand

./configure
-?-
-?-

i tried it in konsole and run command. didn't work. what now?

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 10:06 AM
You'll need to be root, type:
su -
and enter your root password.

It worked fine for me in RedHat 8, just double-clicking on the rpm file :-)

bmason
08-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Grab the RPM version. A very recent version was included with mandrake 9.1 on the second disk.

Graham L
08-04-2003, 06:07 PM
You will need to open a terminal window rather than using a "run" type mechanism, which is intended for doing one command. The compile needs a series of commands, and since it is installing system software, must be done as root, so the "su -" will get you there. (When you are finished as root, type "exit", or Ctrl/D).

You will find that often Linux doesn't give error messages; just nothing happens :D. You will often get a hint about what happened if you use the command "tail -20 /var/log/messages".

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 08:36 PM
On the website it told me to do it just like all other rpm's

Open a terminal (mc or xterm) and su - to root user

type:
rpm -ivh winerpm.name.i386.rpm

And bob's your uncle!

PoWa
08-04-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm having trouble downloading WineX? Where is somewhere I don't have to pay for it?!

flyer590
08-04-2003, 09:00 PM
WineX can be purchased from Transgaming.com (http://www.transgaming.com), or for free from CVS. I do not know the details of getting WineX from CVS (or even what CVS is :-)).

Mzee
10-04-2003, 02:51 AM
Wine will drive you mad :)
It tells you, if you list the program that you should not expect it to work!

Why emulate Windows when you can double boot & have the real thing?

Chilling_Silence
10-04-2003, 10:39 AM
Because, with WineX, and a few other proggys, you dont have to fork out $400 for the latest MS OS.

Cost of buying The Sims and running it on Linux:
OS = RedHat 8 = $15 for a 3CD set from Liam
Games = $60 - The Sims
WineX = $30 or something...

Total price on Linux = $115

Now, compare to Windows:
OS = WinXP Pro OEM - $329 from QMB (Plus GST I think)
Game = $60 - The Sims
WineX = not neede...

So, if you're setting up a PC to play one game, and you just want a word processor etc, then Lycoris will more than suffice.

The world no longer revolves around MS Windows!

..And WineX is only helping bill and the rest of the world to realise that!

Chilling_Silence
10-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Sorry, for got to add this:

> Wine will drive you mad :)
> It tells you, if you list the program that you should
> not expect it to work!

Well, For starters, WINE and WineX are COMPLETELY different, but with the same idea at heart.
WINE wouldnt even run Minesweeper when I used it, but NotePad ran!

With WineX though, I can be completely Windows Indepentant, right from the Setup.exe of the game!

> Why emulate Windows when you can double boot & have
> the real thing?

Oh but I do.. Win2K, Win98 (For the TV Tuner with old drivers) and RedHat 8! :-)