PDA

View Full Version : not responding

dunno
05-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Hello please can somebody help me everytime I go onto the internet or msn or just about anything my puter freezes and comes up not responding I am just about ready to throw it out the window I have windows 98 and IE6 but only have 2.23GB and 890 left in free space I run disk defrag and scan disk often clear temporary files and stuff never used to have problems Puter quite old Please help

robo
06-04-2003, 06:53 AM
First, I would check the startup folder and get rid of anything you don't need. Then I would run MSCONFIG and get rid of anything you don't really need under the startup Tab.
Office startups like fastfind and faststart can cause all kinds of gried.
Give that a go.
robo.

kiwibeat
06-04-2003, 09:20 AM
D?load and install latest graphics drivers also uninstall any new programs that may have caused this plus any old ones that you dont use a lot or need also do a cleanup with windowwasher or washandgo also run spybot thru the pc

kiwibeat
06-04-2003, 09:21 AM
If you are in WGTN more than happy to help out

Susan B
06-04-2003, 10:53 AM
> never used to have problems

So when did the problems start?

I read somewhere recently (on this forum??) that someone with Win 98 had quite a few problems with IE6 which were fixed by going back to IE 5.5. They believed that IE6 is not compatible with with Win 98.

Might be worth a try going back. I run IE 5.5 on this older computer with no problems and do not intend to upgrade to IE 6.

dunno
06-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Thank you Robo, but a while ago I unticked a whole lot of stuff in msnconfig and couldnt run my scan disk so i put it all back not really knowing what i should or shouldnt be ticking I am extremely hopeless when it comes to this stuff, also the start up menu I have know Idea what to get rid of.
If you can help some more i would be most grateful

dunno
06-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanx for your help kiwibeat but all of those things you just mention i have no idea where to find or even what they are. I am extremely hopeless at this

dunno
06-04-2003, 09:57 PM
thankyou susan
I have had IE6 since i got this puter only last year and have only been having problems for a few months but it seems to be getting worse

promethius
06-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Startup:

Startup folder can be found by going: Start > Programs >Startup. There you will see a list of programs that start every time that windows starts. You probably don't need all of these. Delete the ones you don't want by right clicking and clicking delete.

Msconfig:

This one is a bit harder. Basically to be safe don't untick anything that you don't recognise. Sometimes you can tell what a startup item is in msconfig by it's location. When you have unchecked everything that you recognise and your still having problems, start unchecking the ones you don't recognise, one by one, restarting each time you uncheck an unfamiliar one and see how things go. This may sound laborious, but it's the only way I know (a better way anyone?).

promethius
06-04-2003, 11:37 PM
>thankyou susan
>I have had IE6 since i got this puter only last year and have only been >having problems for a few months but it seems to be getting worse

What susan means is what software changes were made around the time of these problems starting (If you can remember). For ex: installed new programs / installed a service pack etc...

argus
07-04-2003, 06:19 AM
I don't see anyone suggesting the simplest diagnotic tool: try a different browser, and see if you get the same with that. If you do, consult your ISP. Otherwise, if you can't repair the IE problem, consider using the other browser permantly. You might even prefer it.

Also, check your firewall settings. You may have inadvertently have refues permission for IE (or necessary Windows routines) to access the internet. Or the settings may have unaccountably [been] changed.

I developed a problem a while ago re MSIE, one account on my XP Pro machine and cnn.com and bbc.co.uk (still not remedied and now seems to have spread to google.com: I suspect this is a very insidious "implant" in my system, but has anyone a more innocent explanation yet?) Using another browser works fine as a solution. I recommend Phoenix (a Mozilla variant).

If it's more

kiwibeat
08-04-2003, 03:33 PM
your HDD needs clearing uninstall some unused programs do a defrag also try opera it small and faster than IE6 , also try and repair IE6 by going tocontrol panel then uninstall IE' but do a repair instead

dunno
10-04-2003, 11:06 PM
these are the things i have in startup
Scan registry, System tray, AVG_CC(which I need for viruses), synchronization manager, save now, load power profile, Tweak UI, load QM, Task Monitor, Media loads Installer, Avgserv 9.exe, Load Power Profile again,Scheduling Agent and Calendar Reminder Shortcut
Ok I have repaired IE, done a defrag and scandisk cleared all temporary internet files and deleted cookies, nothing in startup-programs-startup except works calendar reminder, I havent put any new software or anything on computer for long time.
I do not know how to wash windows or about washandgo or spybot
How do I get a new browser? I have got rid of windowsmedia player,winzip and thats about all i didnt use I only have windows,excell,kazaa,winamp,acrobat,powerpoint,pho toeditor,outlook I dont think i have much stuff compared to some ppl but i only have little puter with little space 2.23gb
Please can you help some more
Thank you

Susan B
11-04-2003, 09:24 AM
OK, well firstly do you have Kazaa or Kazaa-Lite? Kazaa is full of spyware and is very likely to be the cause of your problems. If you have it I would recommend you uninstall it and download and run Spybot (get Spybot from here (http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download)). READ the Help file in Spybot to learn how it works before running it and accept everything that Spybot recommends to clean up your computer. You can then download and install Kazaa-Lite and use that instead if you want to.

Even if you have Kazaa-Lite I would still recommend you download and run Spybot. After that go to the forum's FAQ section (link top right of this page) and read and follow the instructions for clearing out your index.dat files (FAQ #9b)and clearing out your temporary files (FAQ #9a).

In your msconfig Startup disable the following:

synchronization manager, save now, load QM, Media loads Installer, Scheduling Agent and Calendar Reminder Shortcut

Save Now is spyware and should be cleared out by running Spybot. For the others, if you notice some programs are not running afterwards, eg Calendar Reminder, and you need them you can always go back and enable them again. LoadQM may be necessary for internet sharing so if you are on a network then you will need that one.

Try all that lot for now and get back to us with your results. It is good that you got rid of programs you no longer need but Winzip would have been one I would have kept. No matter, you can always get it again if you need it.

Mikey123
11-04-2003, 10:49 AM
I had similar problems a while ago, all caused by upgrading from IE5.5 SP2 to IE6 . I also have Win98SE.

Get rid of IE6 ( via Control Panel, add/remove IE6 ) This should take you back to IE5.5

Alternatively, try Netscape Navigator or Opera

You could try one of the better Registry Cleaners ( JV16 Power Tools is one of the best and safest )

Good luck !

Billy T
11-04-2003, 11:19 AM
I'd take Tweakui out of startup as well. You can run it whenever you want it without it being started at boot.

I had a most frustrating connectivity problem going on for many months that killed my internet connection several times a day, requiring reboot to get it going again. Removing Tweakui from the startup menu cured it, just before I was about to put an axe through it. X-(

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

tommy
11-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Regarding Save Now Jim B has just given this advice in another post:

If any of the following are installed they will prevent internet access.
Go to Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
If you find New.Net, New Net Domains, The New Net, or Save Now listed there, remove it.

The advice regarding running Spybot and clearing out files is still a good idea.

Rob99
11-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Go here http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm to find a full list of all startup items with a full description then you can deside if you leave them checked on or not.

dunno
12-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Susan,
I can not thank you enuff If I knew where you was I would send you a big bunch of flowers I had 160 problems that spybot detected I havent done the other things yet but I assure you I will
Thanks to all of the other wonderful people who helped me get my puter back on its feet.

Thanks once again
Dunno

Susan B
12-04-2003, 11:35 AM
> I had 160 problems that spybot detected

Good grief!! :O

No wonder your poor computer was flagging! :D

Glad to be of some help, good luck with the rest of the cleaning. :-)

stu140103
12-04-2003, 01:42 PM
> Spybot (get Spybot from
> here (http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=d
> wnload)).

also run Ad-Aware (get Ad-Aware from
here (http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/)

Hope this helps