PDA

View Full Version : Restoration Incomplete

Lamoe57
05-04-2003, 10:04 PM
I amusing Windows XP Pro.

I want to restore my system using system restore, however on each occasion that I use system restore selecting any date over the last two months I get the message Restoration Incomplete.

I also have on my system Setpoint which automatically sets a restore point each day. I have had set point operating for a while.

I have also a problem using 'Turn off Computer' from the Start Menu. We I click on 'Turn off Computer' and then click 'Turn Off' it doesn't work.

Yet when I use the 'Log Off' from the Start Menu I have to go to 'Switch User' to actually get the pc to show me the 'Turn Off Computer' option again. When I choose 'Turn Off Computer' I get 'Other people are logged onto this computer. Shutting windows might cause them to lose data. Do you want to continue.'

Even the 'Restart' doesn't work unless I go through this process.

I get the feeling that somehow the user accounts are the problem but don't know what I need to do to fix the problem.

These two problems have only recently happened yet there is nothing that comes to mind as to what may have caused them.

Can anyone help.

Scooter

PoWa
06-04-2003, 02:38 AM
You say you can't see the Shutdown from the start menu, are you an Administrator on the computer?? Sometimes guests cannot shut down the computer.

You could always go ctrl+alt+del, then choose shutdown from the menu.

Here are a few tools that will help you manage your users and local settings better.

Right click MyComputer, and select Manage....then navigate to LocalUsersAndGroups, to users....right click on a name and that should bring up some options.

Alternatively you can use the Group Policy Editor to edit some other settings, but this can be dangerous if your not careful - you dont want to lock yourself out of the computer.

Go to Start[Run] then type in "gpedit.msc" then hit [enter].

Have a look through everything in there, read the descriptions for details on what everything does.

PoWa
06-04-2003, 02:40 AM
I find system restore to be a dog as well. It might be that system restore doesnt have enough disc space allocated for it, and can't restore to times a long time ago as they might have been overwritten.

Try GoBack from Roxio, never failed me yet.

kiwibeat
06-04-2003, 07:38 AM
Restore is not reliable as time goes by ,I used to use GOback which is better but requires a lot of HDD activity' these days I just use drive Image and can restore to about 5 points in time as a emergency backup in case of disaster