PDA

View Full Version : Win98SE requires system administrator aproval

GSiv
05-04-2003, 08:10 PM
I cannot do the implementation stages of Nortons Liveupdate, Spybot Search & Destroy, jv16, and other utilities, as I get a Win32 error, that due to restrictions, I need to contact my system administrator. I run up-to-date Win 98SE, IE6, DirectX9.0a, and figure System Administrator is artifact of NT/ME?/2000/XP?.

In Win98SE, how do I access this new and unencountered " System Administrator " ?.

The Student
05-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Hi,

These restrictions are in place for a reason. Policies are to help strengthen the security of the Operating System and to prevent users from doing damage; as to explain why your requiring Administrator assistance.

That is if you ARE the Administrator....

How do I access this new and unencountered "System Administrator"?. You ask him /her politely.

Terry Porritt
05-04-2003, 09:42 PM
You missed the point Student, Win 98SE doesnt have a System Administrator unless you are in a network. I can vaguely remember getting this message once, I'll try to remember and find out some more.

Warren
05-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Hey terry
i had a problem like that once with windows update
had to do a registry hack
not too sure if it's the same sort of thing though

The Student
05-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Hi,

Yes thats what I was expecting. If you are on a network that you would get this error message.

You too can get these related administrator messages even on a stand alone machine if you use System Policy Editor.

You can use the Registry to reverse these changes, but I do not want to give out this.

I stand by what I said earlier

Terry Porritt
05-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Yes. Student, but if you are on a stand alone Win98 computer, Policy Editor isn't loaded by default, it has to be installed from the Windows CD Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Poledit. So most Win 98 users wont have it anyway. There are no administrator rights in Win98 unlike Win 2000/XP.

So though I may be thick, I couldnt see the point of your comment about asking politely of a non-existent System Administrator?

The question is why is this "error message" being given, and what can be done about it?

If you know a registry modification that will correct this situation, why be cryptic about not "giving this out" ?

GSiv
21-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Thanks, but I am the sole operator of my computer at home. I ought be the one with administrator privillages. I ditched the problem, and forced restore of backup to 10 days previous that were when problem hadn't existed, which I fortunately had on 2nd HDD. GSiv.

somebody
21-04-2003, 05:02 PM
I also stand by what The Student was saying about not giving the registry entries out. I too know them, but in the event that GSiv is on a corporate network or similar, the system administrator would have set restrictions for a reason - to prevent tampering, and damage being done. System Administrators also set restrictions on standalone machines at a particular location under their control, for the same reason.

GSiv at the time did not mention whether this computer was at home, work or wherever, so for safety reasons, The Student was not willing to give out info. Had GSiv been some very curious student at a school or somewhere, with these registry tweaks which The Student had, they would have caused some very major damage.

Terry, remember this is a public forum, with people -good and bad- reading the contents, posting topics etc.

Terry Porritt
21-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Fair enough.