PDA

View Full Version : Counting up RAM at start up

Gill
04-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Running Windows XP with 700 Mhz Intel celeron processor and 320 MB RAM.
When I power it up in the morning it spends quite a bit of time counting up the RAM - I think it might count it three or four times. Of course I could push ESC to continue but was thinking it might be a simple thing to get it to count it up only once. Something in the BIOS perhaps?
Any ideas?
Thanks

Jen C
04-04-2003, 09:42 PM
Yes, you are correct about the BIOS. Have a look in your BIOS and enable "Quick Power On Self Test". This should by-pass the ram count.

Jen

Gill
05-04-2003, 02:16 PM
Yes I have seen this on other bioses but there doesn't appear to be this option available for mine - unless I am not looking in the right area - what subsection is it contained in?
Any other places to do this?

bmason
05-04-2003, 02:25 PM
If its award it will be under BIOS Features.

Big John
06-04-2003, 09:22 AM
It is Testing ram to make sure it is working correctly.

You can turn it off in the BIOS somewhere. Under Fast startup or maybe ram testing. Cant remember without my PC here

Gill
06-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Yes its an award bios for AGP set and I have had a really thorough look and cannot see any reference to fast posts, RAM count etc.

Any other ideas?

Jen C
06-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Yes, have a look at your motherboard manual. It should have the BIOS details listed.

Look for QUICK POWER ON SELF TEST and change it to "enabled".

Cheers
Jen

Big John
06-04-2003, 08:17 PM
> Yes, have a look at your motherboard manual. It
> should have the BIOS details listed.
>
> Look for QUICK POWER ON SELF TEST and change it to
> "enabled".

It may not be there. I remember now that after I update the BIOS on one of my PC's it did the same thing and there was no option to turn it off except for to reflash with the older BIOS.
I left it and just pushed esc each time.

Now with my 1Ghz and 2Ghz machines I do not worry because they flash thru the test so fast anyway that I leave it enabled.

Gill
06-04-2003, 10:23 PM
> > Look for QUICK POWER ON SELF TEST and change it to
> > "enabled".

> It may not be there.

I think you are right - its gone!!
Oh well will just have to live with it.
I wonder why it counts up several times - must other PCs I have observed only do tis once!

exLL
06-04-2003, 11:55 PM
>
> > > Look for QUICK POWER ON SELF TEST and change it
> to
> > > "enabled".
>
> > It may not be there.
>
> I think you are right - its gone!!
> Oh well will just have to live with it.
> I wonder why it counts up several times - must other
> PCs I have observed only do tis once!

Just for the record, I use Win 98 and mine does a memory test once only if the QUICK POWER ON SELF TEST is enabled. However, if I disable it the memory check is done three times.

To change the setting I do the following:

Press Del while it is starting up.
This brings up a CMOS Setup Utility window.
I select and enter the second item down on the left which says BIOS Features Setup.
This brings up a window with three headings; Rom PCI/ISA Bios, Bios Features Setup and Award Software Inc.
In that window, the sixth item on the left is the Quick Power On Self Test, and it can be changed between enabled or disabled.

I realise that you use Win XP, which no doubt is totally different, but perhaps something in the above may point you to somewhere in your system that you may have overlooked.

Cheers. :)

Gill
08-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the really clear instructions exLL but I've decided that my bios is different to yours!!
Obviously they have hidden the reference to "Quick Power On Self Test"
or renamed it or something that is not really obvious!!

Graham L
08-04-2003, 02:02 PM
They often abbreviate it to POST. :D What make is the computer? Some manufacturers insist on a full check on startup. I don't know why they want to do it three times ... any bad memory bad enough to be found by such a "test" will be found first time. It's just a memory size detector, not a real test.