PDA

View Full Version : Installing Disaster

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
04-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Hello there,

I have just happily formatted my other hard drive, but then disaster struck.

MS-DOS does recognise my E: (cd-rom) drive, however....

a) it also recognised my Windows 98se Upgrade disk, but that says Microsoft Windows is needed, *i'm trying to get this, as I've formatted it.

b) it does not recognise the CD-Rom disks for Windows 98SE Full install OR Windows XP Pro Full install

Does anyone know how I can get it going, as when "b" occurs, it says

CDR10: Not ready reading E Drive

I know its not hardware problem, as I've had the upgrade disk running, and cleaned the lens too! I have tried "dir" but it can't even access to CD-Rom. (can recognise the drive)

Many thanks,

tweak\'e
04-04-2003, 11:15 PM
change boot disk, use a different cd rom driver.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
04-04-2003, 11:18 PM
how can i change boot disks, aren't they all the same, aren't cd-rom drivers all the same too, as they're on the boot disk...

But remember, I can have access to the "useless" upgrade cd I got, when I brought my computer.

Rod J
04-04-2003, 11:55 PM
If I understand you correctly you have 3 Windows disks (1. Win98 Upgrade disk, 2. Win98 Full Install disk and 3. WinXP disk)?

If so, my guess is that the Win98 Full Install disk is damaged. But it does seem strange that the WinXP disk is also damaged, if that disk also can't be accessed. Still, it is possible both the disks are flawed in some way. I suppose you have cleaned the disks thoroughly. Have you tried booting directly from the full install disks? You may have to alter your boot order in the BIOS to accomplish this.

Steve Askew
05-04-2003, 08:06 AM
You may have to try another CD-ROM drive,sometimes as they get older they get quite fussy about what discs they can read.
Are the discs you are trying to use original or backups?

Cheers Steve

Big John
05-04-2003, 09:17 AM
If you formatted another drive and added one then a new partition is now available. CDRoms come after all hard drives so then if E used to be your CDRom it now may be F. Open My computer and check there to see where they are.

As for the upgrade. You have an upgrade CD. For it to do an install it needs to verify an original so it either has to be already on the drive you are upgrading or you have to insert your original Windows disk.