PDA

View Full Version : mad printer

Bumfluff
04-04-2003, 03:19 PM
I have an epson stylus 440 running under win 98, which has taken to printing gibberish. Looks like mathmatecal formulae, using letters / signs not on keyboard. Any suggestions??

Graham L
04-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Remove and reinstall the printer . That often works, though like most such fixes it shouldn't. :D

Billy T
04-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Hi Bumfluff

Some options to try, in rough order of priority:

1) Check that you have actually selected a text font, not a symbol type.

2) Make sure the printer lead is securely fitted at both ends.

3) Turn off the printer and computer, remove the power printer power plug for 5-10 minutes, then reconnect and try again.

4) See if your printer will print a test page without being connected to your computer. Most can do this, check the manual. If not, try printing the test page via the computer

5) Uninstall & reinstall the printer driver.

6) Come back here and check for more advice about things I haven't even thought of :)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Bumfluff
07-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks(Just discovered how to do this.) will eventually try everything. How print test page? Cant find how in windows help. Luckily use printer seldom.

Bumfluff
07-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Thanks for taking trouble to help. will try and let know if works.

Billy T
07-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Hi Bumfluff

Your printer documentation and/or help files will tell you how to print a test page independent of your computer if it is capable of doing this. Usually it involves pressing a couple of buttons simultaneously while switching on with your third hand.

If you can't find that function, look in the printer software properties/set up section.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Gordon.
07-04-2003, 03:46 PM
To print a test page turn off your printer, then hold in same time the power and paper feed buttons. That should give you a test print.

Bumfluff
08-04-2003, 12:20 PM
It Worked ! Turning it off (tho. I left it till last 'cos I was sceptical) worked. Great stuff. Thanks again.

Billy T
08-04-2003, 03:24 PM
:D