PDA

View Full Version : Networking Computers!

JamesStewart
03-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Hi. I just got my ethernet card in and got a connection of 100mbps (which to me is bloody fast to me) and I have a program called Fomine Messenger and I want to set up a workgroup I think?

Ok, here is what I want out of my network:

1) To spare a printer connection to the desktop
2) To play Half Life and Generals through a LAN
3) Use the messenger program between both computers
4) Takes files off the laptop and put them on the desktop and visa-versa

What do I need to do to get the above to go?

Chilling_Silence
03-04-2003, 09:09 PM
I belive you're going to want to check out the PressF1 FAQ, and Id suggest setting up a TCP/IP network, which when going will immediately allow printing (If its shared) gaming, and file sharing.. with the right permissions.

Then, so long as the Gateway PC (The one that connects to the web) is running Win98 SE or newer, you can share the internet too with minimal fuss!

JamesStewart
03-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Umm, i go to "Create home or small ofice network" and it list my hard ware (a wireless adaptor that isn't working that the moment) but not the Ethernet card but the connection is still showing 100mbps in the taskbar. What has happened?

Chilling_Silence
03-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Try un-plugging the WLAN Adapter if its USB, otherwise, if you're not needing it, try disabling it in the hardware properties.

Check the properties for the LAN card too while you're in there and make sure that its all peachy :-)

I personally prefer to set it up manually...