PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro Won't Finish Loading

glenn
03-04-2003, 08:34 PM
When I start the computer, windows doesn't finish loading. I get the start button, system tray, etc, but no desktop icons. The computer is really labouring. I checked Task Manager and the CPU usage remains on 100%

To troubleshoot I went into msconfig to do a selective start and discovered (after many restarts) that Plug and Play under the Services tab was it. However, I'm not sure if it's the actual file causing the problem or something else that causes it while Plug and Play is running.

I'm considering a repair installation of windows.

Any ideas on how to approach this? What would your next step be?

cheers

g

AMD Duron 800
128MB RAM
20GB HDD (plenty of room left)

DistantCube
04-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Install windows on top of windows so you dont lose any data (warning, registry entries will be reset)

Other wise, if all else fails, reformat, and if your computer has been reall working hard to get stuff done, then its about time you did one.

kiwibeat
04-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Reinstall and dont use the service pack update patch its known to be buggy and will slow down most PCs , do a image of C:as soon as possible to save reistallation time next time i use drive image 2002 myself

Pheonix
04-04-2003, 09:50 AM
We have had no problems with SP1 , tweake, on the 3 PC's at home. All diff MOBO's and processors.
You have a safe mode in XP, again it is F8 . Also from the menu you can pick to restore as well, or prompt(DOS?)

glenn
04-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Thank you for that. I'll give it a try this weekend.

cheers

g