PDA

View Full Version : Orcon - provide free highspeed connection for non-profit organisation?

agent
03-04-2003, 06:59 PM
You heard me. Would Orcon be willing to provide a fast internet connection to the house of a non-profit organisation which would benefit in particular secondary-level students?

Should I bother writing to them and asking them this, and at the same time outline the plan?

Or would the Ministry of Education be a better bet?

Mike
03-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Do they offer free broadband for NP orgs to start with? Does anybody?

Mike.

Clueless
03-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Who knows????
It may be worth asking someone from Orcon.

Seems a bit sus though... What kind of non profit orginisation needs a hi speed connection? (other than your games computer) :p

.Clueless

agent
03-04-2003, 07:33 PM
One that expects hundreds of users to be using the site each day. What did you think? One that is also run by students who cannot really afford to keep the service running for long without large amounts of extra effort.

Clueless
03-04-2003, 07:44 PM
I'd make the "sponcered by Orcon" buttons up before you approached them.

Whats wrong with using servers at the varsity/tech that the students are at?

.Clueless

cyberchuck
03-04-2003, 09:35 PM
If this is what I think it is, then the primary reason would be the fact that the school server is running Linux with Apache, and the website is ASP, therefore requiring Microsoft IIS...
Also the schools already been contacted... seem's like the IT Guy had a bad day when he responded to the email

agent
04-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Bravado and chairs (sorry for my extremely bad pun, tell me if you understand it).

Now, why would I draft up "service provided by Orcon" logos before a deal is made? I'm sure they have a system for doing that, and if not, anything they can afford can surely be better than the crap logos I've tried making for this project.

I'm going to draft a proposal, but that'll be all. Might actually email them (writing costs too much, this is a budget activity - very budget [anyone got contacts at Domainz? ;)]).

I guess you could also say that my thread about Microsoft failed to achieve the kind of replies I was expecting.

Clueless
04-04-2003, 08:57 AM
>Now, why would I draft up "service provided by Orcon" logos before a deal is made?

----- because asking Orcons help to provide a service for students that brings Orcons name to the forefront as great people who would be a logical choice of ISP makes your request attractive to Orcon. A demonstration might help the cause.

This seems a more logical approach than "Hey guys..We want, and we're really needy"

BTW.. I just woke up, but somehow think even if i hadn't i would have no idea what the pun is about.

.Clueless

agent
04-04-2003, 11:37 AM
It could've been "bravado and cheers", mock joy at having to make up a flash button, but I used "chairs" instead to say that I had a lot of work to sit down to. Does that make sense?

Graham L
04-04-2003, 03:42 PM
?:| :_| :O

Why ask us? Ask Orcon.

We're not Orcon. We've no right to say they should or shouldn't do this.

They are a business. Their purpose is to make a profit providing services to their custopmers. I don't know whether they make charitable donations. It's none of my business.

BIFF
04-04-2003, 04:25 PM
> One that expects hundreds of users to be using the
> site each day. What did you think? One that is also
> run by students who cannot really afford to keep the
> service running for long without large amounts of
> extra effort.

With this sort of sarcastic attitude you are unlikely to get anyone to help you.