PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Drive Problems

bba12
03-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Hi Everyone

Here is a strange problem. I have Windows XP and Office 2000 at home and Novell with Office 97 at work. I save a PowerPoint presentation to floppy at home as a back up (& email it to work). No problem opening the PowerPoint up at work from the floppy and saving back to floppy. BUT when I get home and try to open the floppy I get the message "disk not formatted, format now?". I have had this problem with 2 floppy disks now. I have tried reformatting at home but get the message "Windows cannot format this disk". What is going on? All worked fine a month ago. My home floppy drive seems to be working fine. Please help!

utopia
03-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Because floppy disks may fail at any moment, I suggest that you try a new, empty floppy disk to see if the Floppy drive is the cause of the problem.

I've had about 10 floppy disks suddenly failing. I was able to retrieve the files on most of the disks but the remaining few - I wasn't able to retrieve any files at all!

leshibbard
03-04-2003, 12:44 PM
bba 12, this has been brought up before on this site.

Have the same problem here, with 2 different PCs', seems to come right when you put the floppy back into the first machine, retrieve and save the files.

Sometimes taking the floppy out and re-inserting it works.

"Just like spark plugs used to do", if you can remember that far back !!.

Les 3

Graham L
03-04-2003, 04:20 PM
First: try removing the floppy and reinserting it. Sometimes they don't centralise properly on the spindle.

Second: How much is the floppy drive at work used? They seem to collect a lot of dust in office etc environments. I have seen floppy drives solid with dust. Try a (wet) head cleaner on both the drives. It's most likely to be the work one, but might as well do both. This won't fix a major crud problem, but it's worth a try.