PDA

View Full Version : Booting into safe mode, Win98

rugila
02-04-2003, 10:10 PM
I use Win98 but have dual boot with Xp home (hardly ever use the latter tho')

Before Xp I used to get into boot menu so could select safe mode etc. by holding down ctrl or F8 keys.

Now, with boot.ini operating to allow selection between Win98 and Xp, I can't figure out how to get Win98 into safe mode. It always just boots normally.

Is there a way to boot into Win98 safe mode without deactivating the boot.ini file?

Chilling_Silence
03-04-2003, 10:38 AM
That's got me stumped too... Only Im Dual-Booting with Win2K.

I wait for the HDD activity light to go off for half a second and just hit the power button.. Its not Ideal, but Ive only had to get into safe mode once, so it did the trick, rebooting and giving me the list :-)

I did however run Scan-Disk and Defrag afterwards, just to make sure I'd not done anything wrong, but I wouldnt suggest you use that on a regular basis.. maye once off, but no more :-)

You could corrupt the active files by doing that.. Eventually... And then you'd probably be no better off :p

Just a temp. solution.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Babe Ruth
03-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi Rugila, Chill,

basically you need the command WIN /D:M in the Autoexec.bat file for Windows 98. Can be achieved in many ways... See my responses in the following thread on PressF1: Windows 98 Shutdown to SAFE Mode (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=26732&message=97720) for some suggestions.

Cheers, Babe.