PDA

View Full Version : Users in XP

Lamoe57
02-04-2003, 10:01 PM
I have a problem which I wonder if anyone can help.

When I try to 'Turn off Computer' from the Start Menu and then click 'Turn Off' it doesn't work.

Yet when I use the 'Log Off' from the Start Menu I have to go to 'Switch User' to actually get the pc to show me the 'Turn Off Computer' option again. When I choose 'Turn Off Computer' I get 'Other people are logged onto this computer. Shutting windows might cause them to lose data. Do you want to continue.'

Even the 'Restart' doesn't work unless I go through this process.

I get the feeling that somehow the user accounts are the problem but don't know what I need to do to fix the problem. Can anyone help.

Scooter

Lamoe57
02-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Usin Windows XP Pro.

Scooter

-=JM=-
02-04-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm picking that it would be due to other people logged in and it is worried about losing their unsaved work if there is some.

PoWa
02-04-2003, 11:21 PM
You can safely log them out if it asks you again. Unless they have some open docs and havent saved them :)

If you have administrator rights, open the task manager ctrl+alt+del switch to users, click on the other users and click log off.

I have xp pro too and on the rare occasion it wont shutdown like you describe. Sometimes I go start,shutdown,shutdown 2-3 times to make it work, its just slow sometimes.

What I found almost always works is opening the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and then choosing shutdown from the list and shutting it down that way.

sgtchopper
03-04-2003, 12:23 AM
I will assume that you have XP Pro running in a local/workgroup environment as you cannot have the switch user option in a domain setting. What local group is your user account a member of? Do you use passwords? Have you modified the user profile at all? Have you tried creating a new account, assigning it Administrator rights and then testing it.

The Student
03-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Hi,

Have you also tried unticking the "Use the Welcome Screen" option instead?

This is the more secure method, as for other reasons behind it, at least you know all the time who is currently active on account, rather than using the switching between users option instead... can be rather frustrating.

Otherwise, this could be a security related issue. Not to state that it is, but you could try looking at this:

This may seem abit extreme, but who know

Well, if that doesn't work then go to "Administrative Tools" and open up
"Local Security Policy"

Under "Security Options"

look for the value called "Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down wtihout having to log on. See if thats ENABLED.

If it isn't just double click that value and select "Enabled"

I can't remember the other option, but this uses the Registry "Force Shutdown" value, but yet again, this could also relate to the above Security Setting.

Chilling_Silence
03-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Hold down the Shift key, and one of the options will change to Hibernate (If enabled - Go into the Power Properties in Control panel) and that'll let you power it down without losing the other information that the users may have.

argus
03-04-2003, 11:33 AM
I get the occasional "phantom" user on XP Pro too; I almost never have two accounts actually active on the machine. I've wondered if it might be some ingenious kind of spyware, perhaps courtesy of Microsoft, or other "officially sanctioned" snoop.

But it's probably just a bug. It'll be fixed in SP4.

I just press what my partner charmingly calls "the f... off button" (she wishes more applications had one); Close it down anyway. I don't give a damn if they lose any "saved" work. Most times I just hit the physical "off" or "reset" button rather than the red one on the screen and wear the lengthy reboot. It's worth it to get rid of whoever might be poking around in your system as quickly as possible.

Argus