PDA

View Full Version : Red Hat up2date lost my web browser

Kame
02-04-2003, 09:08 PM
So I decided to update my RH8 (knowing that Ver 9 will be out soon) and after the update my web browser (Mozilla 1.2?) does not work now. I click on the icon in KDE and it won't run, I type mozilla in console and still no go it seems to just do nothing.

I just updated everything except kernels so it could have had an update for mozilla, I'm not too sure, all the updates I can locate if I was on Linux but I can't remember the directory /var/spool/up2date maybe???

I don't know the exact problem, maybe the link to it is no longer there or I've gotten rid of it but I am told nothing when trying to run it.

Easiest way for me to try and fix it is to download the latest mozilla on Windows and boot into linux and copy it over and run it there.

But... is there a way to fix it without doing this?

I've got fullrate jetstream so downloading isn't a problem, that's why I decided to do updates since I hadn't done it for a month.

I don't have any other browsers (lynx maybe there?) either as I basically installed each item I needed individually when I got linux running with minimal options for text base and then installing all the dependant files for KDE3

Gorela
02-04-2003, 11:43 PM
Hi Kame,

I'm not to sure where Redhat keeps the downloaded updates, but it would of course depend on whether you keep the downloaded sources or have set up2date to remove them.

If you have the full KDE desktop you should have the Konqueror web browser for easy use.

Typing mozilla in the terminal should open a window. Seems very strange.

Graham L
03-04-2003, 04:54 PM
Type "mozilla", then "tail -20 /var/log/messages". Always look at the log files. :D

Kame
03-04-2003, 07:12 PM
I should look at log files... but I just don't know what I'm looking for half the time (most the time to be honest)

Graham L
04-04-2003, 03:57 PM
If you have just issued a command and it doesn't work the look at messages. If you look at the last few lines of /var/log/messages (always use "tail -20'" to look at that file :D) you usually see some error messages which will give a hint about what happened.