PDA

View Full Version : explorer.exe

cavedoll57
02-04-2003, 08:07 PM
My PC froze last night just as I was about to launch an attack against some alien scum, but it only seemd to be that program that was down. I left it running overnight and it seemed Ok this morning but after a restart I got the following, after the "Illegal operation" message on boot-up;
"Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module explorer.exe at..." and then there's a whole bunch of hex relating to registry, bytes et al.

Is the problem with explorer itself, or a related file? I'm running Windows 98SE, I've run scanreg and scandisk thru DOS, but they say everything's okey-dokey.
I've looked thru the posts about explorer but not seen anything that fits this problem.
I'd really like some suggestions for fixing it, or I'll conduct an illegal operation on my PC myself.
Thanks in advance - Dave

godfather
02-04-2003, 09:09 PM
From Microsoft:

Windows 98
In Windows 98, boot the computer to the Startup menu and then click Command Prompt Only.

For more information about how to boot your computer to safe mode, please see the following article.

Type the following at the prompt: ren c:\explorer.exe explorer.old, and then press ENTER.

Restart the computer.

You may need to boot into safe mode to do this. Press F8 as its booting...

Kame
02-04-2003, 09:15 PM
I have forgotten a lot of DOS commands... and working on linux I keep forgetting to do DOS commands instead of Linux commands.

I never knew the rename command but now I do.

although is Explorer.exe located in C:? I'm sure it'd be in Windows.

Not knowing the rename command I'd do it like:

copy C:\Windows\Explorer.exe C:\Windows\Explorer.old and then I'd do del C:\Windows\Explorer.exe but renaming is way faster and I must do that more often. I've learnt it the other way, now I have to unlearn it and do it correctly.

godfather
02-04-2003, 09:39 PM
MS give a solution where by some action the explorer.exe has a copy created in C:
This gives an error as posted.

But, your mileage may vary...