PDA

View Full Version : Printing Photos

csinclair83
02-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Hey!
I've got a few photos on my computer, and a few frames to fill...and i wanna use photopaper which i have copies of...and many of u would know its soooo expensive...thats why mistakes are really wanting 2 be avoided...
when i open the photo in picture itpro...it enlarges it to actually fit the page, and to actually get it perfect size for frame u gotta go to print settings and change size to frame size..then it will print in middle of page for you...that is really annoying coz its like a waste of the rest of the page...BUT if i resize it myself...i always get it wrong because i cant get the measurements right to go in frame...
Is there some sort of easier way to do this?....
I have Photoshop 6 if that would do anything...i dont really have knowledge of Photoshop to actually use it..but its annoying..
the frames are like 10cm x 10cm and some are 12x 10 or something like that...

Hope someone can help :) If u know something that came with xphome..that can do the job..tell me coz i have xp home :D

Hear soon :)

Bazza
02-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Hi CS, I know what you mean, with the price of good photo paper.

I use Adobe PhotoDelux which will resize the image to the cm dimensions you require. Well for the screen display anyway, but not sure about the printing size.

To do what you want, I use an early version of ACDsee viewer. In this when 'print' is selected, one can position the image in any one of 9 positions on the A4 paper, & resize as required. There are many viewers available, and maybe the free popular irfanview viewer will do the same.

I dont have Photoshop, but I imagine it could do what you want. Maybe some Photoshop users can advise you.

Good luck.

rugila
02-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Photoshop should do it OK.
Try the following:
1. Open a new file, size of A4 paper, that is 21cm wide by 29.7 high. Use 300 pixels per inch which should be K for your size photos.
2. Open your photo file (if not already open) copy the part you want to print (maybe all of it) and paste it onto the new A4 size file.
3. It probably won’t be the right size, so right click on it and use free transform to position it and resize it. The new A4 file should have the cms along horiz and vertical axes so you can get the size you want (Hold down shift key when resizing to keep horizontal and vertical dimensions in same proportion.
4. To print it you will probably first have to flatten the image (go to menu – layer – flatten image)
5. You can fit other photos to fill in the A4 page by the same way if you like. Free transform allows you to rotate them, change portrait to landscape, and all that.

Post back if this works, or even if it doesn’t, so can figure out why not.

csinclair83
02-04-2003, 11:26 PM
Hey!been working on it..
100% scale..looks cool but when printing..it prints like...really smallllllllllllllllllll....mmm i dunno why?...i used normal printing paper for testing...
so i guess it works on computer but printing doesnt print exact same size...it actually shrinks it..

Bazza
02-04-2003, 11:40 PM
When saying 'hey' CS, what do you mean? working on what ?

It would be helpfull if you told us what program you are working on !

like "100% scale..looks cool but when printing..it prints like...really smallllllllllllllllllll....mmm i dunno why?...i used normal printing paper for testing..."

What does that mean CS ?

csinclair83
02-04-2003, 11:44 PM
sorry..
was working on the photos...in photoshop 6...

and i veiw it in 100% scale on the program..so i know the exact size of it when it prints...and for example one of the photos is 6cm in length,...then i printed it...and the example picture wasnt 6cm length..it shrunk down to 2

and i used normal paper to test it..to see if right size and all...so i dont waste photopaper...
the arrangement comes perfect..its the size...

Bazza
02-04-2003, 11:59 PM
OK, CS, ya getting there.. I know it's not easy, but the photoshop you have I believe will do everyting you wish.

But, after my last post, you did not, look, see, about the ACDSee program I mentioned..

OK, fair enough, thats your call.

Good luck.

csinclair83
03-04-2003, 12:10 AM
i will give that program a try then..where do i get it from?

Bazza
03-04-2003, 12:25 AM
Well, CS..As I said, I was using an earlier version of ACDsee, to print as you required.

There are recent versions of ACDsee that are excellent, but I believe cost.

Have a look on google for ACDsee

Rob99
03-04-2003, 01:27 AM
Photoshop 6
-once you have opened your picture
-Select File - Print Options
-change the height or width to what you need in cm
-uncheck center image
-now you can drag your image to where you want to print it on the page

csinclair83
03-04-2003, 01:43 PM
i cant seem 2 get anything working..tried every idea you guys have given me..apart from that one with adsee or something of that name...coz its pay for it..so yeah...
i think i;ll just get more photo paper and print 2 per page..one on top and bottom..

Ron24
03-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Hi, Get a trial version of ACDsee from....
www.ACDsystems.com/English/index.htm

Good luck Ron.

JenZ
03-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Hey, do you have MS Publisher? If you do just Insert --> Picture --> From File and as you resize the photo watch down in the bottom right of the status bar – it gives you the size of the frame. You can put on as many photos onto the page as you want.

HTH
Jen.

Trev0
03-04-2003, 06:48 PM
I suppose you know of the 'print pictures' part of 'picture tasks' on the left hand panel of the picture folder of XPh,
a few different options already there for you that may be what you're looking for...

Trev

rugila
03-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems CS.

I had a good go-over of what I suggested above and it works fine for me, although I have Photoshop 5.5.

Additions I might suggest to those I listed above are that you resize the image before copy and pasting (to say 10cm by whatever gives the right proportion, Photoshop does that automatically, and actually apply the free transform (did you do this??) before trying to print, otherwise it won't print right.

Apply the free transform by clicking on one of the tools, say the copy tool.

Then, depending on your printer and driver, you may be able to get a print preview to see if it works without actually printing. I use an Epson 670 stylus that does this just fine.

Otherwise you can try a pagemaker type program (although I don't think this is necessary) MS Publisher was suggested - should be OK, ACDSEE - maybe OK, Quark is excellent but expensive, sometimes I use an old photoediting program called MGI Photosuite which is pretty simple but (unlike some other such software) does have a useful print preview and print resize and position facility.

But I still don't see why you have the difficulty with Photoshop - have you checked out their help material on this topic?

Elephant
03-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Publisher 2002 works for me running under WinXP Pro. I can print a number of pictures on a page and keep the proportions right.

The number of pics on a page vary with the size they are at of course.

muddyboots
03-04-2003, 08:59 PM
Go to scantips.com for a good exposition on the ins & outs of scanning/printing photos