PDA

View Full Version : Data Backup recovery

bpmoney
02-04-2003, 04:23 PM
OK, here's a curley one.

So I was backing up and I realised that I some of my changes in my database were wrong (doh) now I need the data I had before I made the changes, however I aws halfway through doing a backup when I realised what I had done wrong, when I canceled the backup thhough it seemed to still save it (even though I canceled it) instead of just stopping and reverting to the old one. So now I have a half backup which doesn't work anyway. (as far as I'm aware that .qic file is the new one thats incomplete) My question is, how do I get the old .qic file back, I tried a file recovery program but it finds loads of files and directories, not the single backup file. Any ideas on what I can do.

Merlin
02-04-2003, 05:03 PM
Interesting - how to recover a file that has been partially overwritten

That is similar to wanting to make an omelette without breaking an egg.

bpmoney
02-04-2003, 05:08 PM
hmmm I'm not sure it would have over writen the file as it's writing a 250Mb .qic file onto a 10 gig Hard drive and it's the only data kept on that drive, so would it not write the new file first, Then delete the old one (no over writing needed cause it's not hard up for room)?

Billy T
02-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Maybe I'm thick, but there seems to be a logical inconsistency here somewhere BP. Either that or you are not telling the entire story.

If making a backup, your original data is left untouched, otherwise it wouldn't be a backup.

The way you explain things, it sounds more like you were restoring from a backup and having interrupted it, you are now caught betwixt and between. Matters are further confused by your statement that you were writing the file to a 10Gig disk but not overwriting the existing file.

As I said, maybe I'm thick, but could you please clarify your situation before my head explodes. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|

Graham L
02-04-2003, 06:08 PM
That's right ... it will have created a temporary file, and renamed it to the permanent name when done. If it's a separate drive, and nothing else is on it, your chances should be very good.

The old Norton's Utilities NU would have recovered the file with no problems. The new one might ... someone will know. (In future, always rename the previous file before doing a backup ... it will save you).

I'm not impressed that a backup programme (a) uses the non-unique names, and (b) "destructively" closes the output file when it is cancelled part way through.

bpmoney
02-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I was none too impressed either, an option to have it generate a sequential file name would be sooooooo handy (but it is microsoft so...eh)
I'll give Nortons a go though, the one I used is DriverRecovery which seemed to find a whole load of files and directories, almost like it was finding the contents of the .qic file instead of the file itself.

bpmoney
02-04-2003, 06:36 PM
sorry, maybe my explanation was a little rough, but Graham L picked up on whats happening, I want to restore a .qic file that was deleted, not restore From a .qic file, subtley different I suppose. for example, the backup ITSELF was deleted, not the data that was backed up. but now I need to restore from the backup that I don't have cause it was deleted. I hope that clears things up?? (yeah, I know, clear as mud ;)

bpmoney
04-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I now also created a small batch file for renaming the backups to keep up to 5 weeks worth of them.

Thanks Again