PDA

View Full Version : display settings....??

Johhny Cat
02-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Hi there,

Periodically, my computer changes the display setting to 600x480 from the higer setting. It now simply refuses to change back after I restart the computer, but instead reverts to 600x480 and limited colour availability. I have not loaded any hardware for some time. Any ideas?

Thanks

Johnny

argus
02-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Try reloading the driver for your graphics card, if you have it. After an OS change, I got wound down to 16 colours and 640*480!

But reloading the driver fixed it.

Argus

Johhny Cat
02-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Hi there,

I choose to "update the driver" from the computer ( I dont think I have a disk to do this). Unfortunately 640x480 is now the only choice available to me.

Steve Askew
02-04-2003, 05:24 PM
A friend had the same problem as you describe last week & it sounds like your driver may be corrupt.
What I did was go to video card maufacturers site & download the latest driver I could find for his card & force the computer to use the new driver by choosing the location where you have put new driver.
Even if it is the same as the original it should overwrite the corrupt one.

Cheers Steve
If you have probs post again

whetu
02-04-2003, 06:00 PM
what OS have you got? what graphics card have you got? and what monitor have you got?

Johhny Cat
02-04-2003, 08:47 PM
I am running Windows 98

My monitor is a phillips 105s

As for the video card...Im not to sure. I think it is a "Standard PCI Graphics Adaptor (VGA)" supplied by Microsoft. Obviosuly this is a low-level (and old) card and I am a little uncertain as to where I can download an updated driver for it since it doesnt seem to be made by a specific company with a specific website.

Thanks

Johnny

Steve Askew
02-04-2003, 09:08 PM
if you don't want to go inside the case you can download aida32 (http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32) & it should be able to identfy what brand & model video card your pc has.
If the manufacturer doesn't support the card any more you can go to www.driverguide.com & have a look there,
username is drivers & password is all

cheers Steve

Elephant
02-04-2003, 09:15 PM
That should work and good helpful advice.

Just my humble opinion.

There again.... I have the right to voice my opinion but I don't have the right to be taken as gospel as it were.

B-)

Johhny Cat
02-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Most appreciated. I'll give that a crack.

Johhny Cat
02-04-2003, 11:14 PM
Hi Steve

I downloaded Aida32 as you suggested. It tells me that the video card is the Standard PCI Graphics card and that Microsoft is the provider.

Here comes the difficult part...finding the driver to replace my (presumably) corrupt exisiting one. Nowehere on Microsoft can I find a download for this driver nor on any of the driver sites such as driverforum.com. This is amazing. I have seen many queries submitted to other computer sites around the world in which people complain of this problem and asking where they can download the driver as they have had to reload Windows 98. No one is ever able to provide an answer. Strange.

Anyway...many thanks for your help...and I'll keep looking. I'll probably email Microsoft directly.

Johnny

Steve Askew
02-04-2003, 11:31 PM
As far as i know microsoft do not make video cards but I stand to be corrected .
Usually it is called Standard PCI Graphics card when the operating system can't identify the video card used.
EG:It would be hard for win98 to identfiy & provide a driver for a video card that was made after the operating system was released.

you will probably have to take the cover off & identify the card manually,It should have a name on the chipset. EG: Trident 9440

I will assume that your PC has a PCI card & not an onboard video?

Cheers Steve

Post again if you need more help as this form is open 24/7 when the server doesn't crash :D

Pheonix
02-04-2003, 11:33 PM
The microsoft video that your looking at is infact a default driver for windows. It is used so that at least you get a picture if the correct drivers are not loaded. Therefore, it is impossible to find it at microsoft. Somehow, you have to find out what video card you are using. It may require you to remove the side cover and (using a torch) find out if you use a separate video card or "onboard" video. If you note where your monitor lead is plugged into the PC socket, if inside PC the socket is on a card that stands off the main board (biggest one) then it is a separate card. If the socket sits on the main board, then it is onboard. Note down any numbers/letters from either and report back. If onboard, usually the numbers/letters are between the rows of sockets that cards plug into.

Antonia
03-04-2003, 01:00 AM
Have you checked whether you were given a cd with drivers for your video card when you bought your computer?

It took me a while to catch on, when I had the same trouble as you after formatting the HDD

Regards, Antonia

Johhny Cat
03-04-2003, 01:34 AM
I am one satisfied customer. Steven and Pheonix, you were both right on the money. Like many other people with this problem, I was under the misconception that the 'Standard PCI Accelerator' was in fact the make and model of the video card. As you point out this is a generic term used by windows to descirbe a card that it does not recognise. As soon as I went beyond this term and found out that my card was a "Trident Blade 3P" card (which luckily I found on the original computer sales sheet rather than going inside the terminal) I was easily able to download a driver from Trident. The result......a colour and precision on my monitor that I never noticed before! Having visited what seems like a 1000 sites today trying to deal with this I can tell you that this simple bit of information you gave was worth its weight in gold.

Many thanks once again

Johnny