PDA

View Full Version : Onboard VIA AC'97 Sound

CYaBro
02-04-2003, 11:05 AM
I have a PC with an MS-6330v5 (K7T Turbo2) mainboard with onboard VIA chipset sound card.
I have installed Windows 2000 Pro and all latest drivers and the sound works fine.
I then installed Windows XP Pro on another partition and all the latest drivers. The problem is that the sound in WinXP is choppy and almost sounds like it is skipping.
Anyone have any ideas why?

PC:
Duron 900
256MB PC-133 SD-RAM
40GB 7200rpm HDD
52x CD-ROM
DVD-ROM
8x4x24 CD-RW
Geforce 2 MX400 64MB AGP Card
Surecom 10/100 NIC
Windows 2k Pro SP3
Windows XP Pro SP1

CYaBro
04-04-2003, 10:16 AM
Help?

Chilling_Silence
04-04-2003, 10:26 AM
A friend recently had the same troubles.

I went round to format the PC and that somehow fixed it.

He was running Win98 though, but it was still that Via AC '97 Onoard sound chipset.

Ive personally never had issues with mine.

Is it possible to re-install WinXP on a 3rd partition and see if it works (Even for just 10 days or whatever?)
Otherwise, try a driver update from the vendor's homepage if you can find it (I couldnt :()

CYaBro
04-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Been doing a bit of research on the net and it looks like quite a few people have had this problem with the VIA AC'97 onboard sound.

It is a fresh install of Windows XP and has the latest drivers from VIA website and also DirectX 9.

Funny thing is though the sound was working fine in the old copy of Windows XP (before I foolishly deleted and reinstalled!)

Think I'll stick to Win2k for now. Does all I need it to.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence
04-04-2003, 11:39 AM
> Been doing a bit of research on the net and it looks
> like quite a few people have had this problem with
> the VIA AC'97 onboard sound.

Cant argue with that ;-)

> It is a fresh install of Windows XP and has the
> latest drivers from VIA website and also DirectX 9.

Ooh.. bummer!

> Funny thing is though the sound was working fine in
> the old copy of Windows XP (before I foolishly
> deleted and reinstalled!)
>
> Think I'll stick to Win2k for now. Does all I need
> it to.

Yeah, I found sound quality wasnt as good in XP as it now is in Win2K on my PC that has that onboard sound.

I found that its even worse quality in 98 for some reason?

All using the standard drivers off the CD though. Interesting..

Im using my SB!Live 5.1 channel surround soundcard for now.. I got it for a great $65 and it pumps out much better quality sound, and the amp is much better too!

Sorry there was no quick solution.. ;-)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Danger
05-04-2003, 01:25 AM
I had a conflict with VIA AC'97 onboard sound and Zone Alarm, uninstalled ZA and problem was solved. That was on ME tho.

Paulmnz
11-09-2004, 02:05 PM
In the same situation:

Win XP Pro (havent installed SP2 yet)

New motherboard went in and all was fine - until 6 weeks later doing some home networking to an XPSP2 upgraded system performance was going completely whack so formatted and reinstalled XP Pro.

Now sound doesnt work. Reinstall the motherboard support CD and ensure that the sound drivers option is included.

Windows says the driver is corrupt or missing. Search web. Download 6 versions of Realtek 97 sound drivers. None of which helped.

Still havent found a native version to match my exact motherboard/chipset - an ECS KT600-A

Might have to go and spend $20.00 on a soundcard....

metla
11-09-2004, 07:31 PM
ecs host all the required drivers on there website....

metla
11-09-2004, 07:45 PM
>>Still havent found a native version to match my exact motherboard/chipset - an ECS KT600-A

kt-600 drivers (http://http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?CategoryID=1&Typeid=4&detailid=360&DetailName=Driver&DetailDesc=KT600-A(1.0)&MenuID=35&LanID=0)

although you probally now have a bunch of conflicting drivers on your system.

Paulmnz
11-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Nope - cos I uninstall each one after testing it.

metla
11-09-2004, 08:40 PM
You really think that removes all entries made by the drivers?

For a little experiment run something like everest and it will list a sound card for every time you have installled audio drivers.

Paulmnz
11-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the link.

It didnt work either.

I still get a message in the system properties for my audio hardware:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Possible hardware problem? (Motheboard is 3 weeks old but audio worked fine until I did a format and reinstall a week ago).

Spacemannz
11-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Try the drivers here for XP.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=24&kind=1

Spacemannz
11-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Stupid link goes somewhere else!

Look here

http://forums.windrivers.com/archive/index.php/t-62458

lastbroadcast
14-09-2004, 10:44 PM
I too had problems with the sound cracking up on AC97, VIA on a Gigabyte KT-600 1394 motherboard (with XP), reinstalled drivers etc etc, fiddled with every darned Windows setting but to no avail.

For me the solution was a reinstall of Windows XP, and the hassle involved in this is making me seriously consider just getting a cheapish sound card to solve these problems for good! (I've always been a little suspicious of on-board sound and video anyway, it just seems that something that important should cost more money!)