PDA

View Full Version : expensive internet

compucon
02-04-2003, 10:16 AM
I work in an internet cafe north of auckland

Since we are using a telecom business line to connect we are being charged 5 cents a minute when connected.

Over a month this can rack up bills in the thousands of dollars.

This is a big strain for a new business.

Does anyone know of any ways of cutting this cost, do any other phone companies offer a different deal.

How do other internet cafes survive?

We have an ihug satellite connection so we are on a dialup account.
We have taken to disconnecting the modem when not in use but hasn't helped much.

Thanks for any help or ideas

godfather
02-04-2003, 10:34 AM
The IHUG satellite account uses dial-up in the outward mode, hence the costs.

Have you looked into a Jetstream connection? This does not use your phone line in the sense that although the line "carries" the signal. it does not count as a business call, and leaves the line free for normal phone traffic.

compucon
02-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately Jet stream is not available in our area, so the fastest we can get is ihug.

tweak\'e
02-04-2003, 01:59 PM
there was talk of a cellphone setup. not to sure on the details but i can ask around. how far north of auckland are you??

Gorela
02-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi Tweakie,

You might be thinking of the Internet for Schools program. Rather than using cell phone connections I think they were looking at using 802.11a. From memory there was a BCL/Telecom proposal being put together for a number of regions.

There were meant to be a number of other proposals put forward by people like Walker Wireless as well.

Perhaps a call to the regional council would be an idea, as I think they were getting involved as well as the Education Board. It seemed to me that Southland and possibly Wairarapa (could have been Taranaki as well) were looking at going it alone and not being tied into a national deal.

Graham L
02-04-2003, 02:51 PM
tweak'e, a cellphone connection would cost more than 5c/minute. :D That's one of the "benefits" of the "3G" cellphone, the frequencies for which were auctioned a year or so ago. The idiots paid enormous amounts. There are no uses which anyone but a obscenely rich idiot would use. If you use an "ordinary" cellphone, you'll be paying for 3G for years.

But it's the old problem ... bandwidth costs money. If you are far from the fibre, it's going to cost more.

nzStan
02-04-2003, 03:35 PM
If you don't have option for Wireless or Jetstream then the next best option is to talk to Telecom or Telstra for a permanent data connection such as DDS or Frame Relay. Explore the feasibility of renting the routers from them as well.

It might cost more but if you get the right plan, your bill will be fixed per month rather than variable.

compucon
03-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone,

We had already looked into the cell connection but decided against it.

I guess we will just have to wait untill jetstream comes but that could take along time. It just reasently made it to wellsford but we are over half an hours drive from there.

Thanks anyway

Chilling_Silence
03-04-2003, 10:48 AM
> I guess we will just have to wait untill jetstream
> comes but that could take along time. It just
> reasently made it to wellsford but we are over half
> an hours drive from there.

Might I suggest a Really Long network cable :D

There have been more and more movements to get Jetstart/stream to more rural areas, with people being more and more interested, its becoming more viable for Telecom etc.

It might be a good idea to write to telecom and ask them, letting them know your concerns. Obviously the'd get a lot of those, but they at least might give you a rough indication of how long itd be til it arrives :-)

tweak\'e
03-04-2003, 11:32 AM
yeah that exchange up there is really old, dosn't even have faxability. i wonder how long untill the exchange is upgraded as all those hundreds of new houses going up up there is going to put a strain on the old exchange. hopefully telecom will upgrade it to jetstream when it upgrades the whole exchange.

Clueless
03-04-2003, 11:51 AM
They won't upgrade the exchange... They'll stick a bulldozer through it and replace it with something state of the art (15 years old :p) that sits in the corner and does 3 times as much with 10 times the capasity. The rest of the exchange building could be leased out as a busstop or something.

Some equipment just cant be upgraded, but if the demand it there, (new houses, people screaming for DSL etc) it will be replaced with something usefull

Good luck with the wait!

.Clueless

Steve Bell
03-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Walker Wireless (with Vodafone) has won the Northland deal, also Southland and Wairarapa.

The question of "going it alone" is a bit misleading; they (and Taranaki) started their projects independently of the Govt's Probe scheme, but the schools part of their networks will still be govt funded under Probe; it's the wider community for whom they'll have to find the funding.

I'm not sure how far "from Northland Auckwards" the coverage area will go and whether you will fall into it, but it might be worth a look.

The Far North Development Trust is the body running it. They can be contacted through the Far North District Council. (I have a mobile number for the guy in charge, but don't want to "publish" it).

Steve B.

Steve Bell
03-04-2003, 12:25 PM
And see the latest lead article "Walker Wireless to build national network" at www.idg.co.nz

Steve B.

Steve Bell
03-04-2003, 12:33 PM
> The rest of the exchange building could be leased out as a busstop or > something.

I understand Telecom already uses the spare space in its larger exchange buildings for processors to offer facilties management services. The aircon is there; may as well use it.

Steve B.