PDA

View Full Version : two isp servers competing

beetle
01-04-2003, 11:08 PM
hi im back, with more problems......lol
as you may remember ( or not ) i was moving and going to have two isp's, so two email adress's ok?
well got them both up and running today, but now when online with one or other when i go to check for mail, they both go to check and one always comes up error (the one not connected of course) which is a little frustrating. says something along the lines of incorect password or ? is there a way that when checking for mail that i may not have both checking?
or can i seperate them? at moment they come up in same outlook express page inbox. is there a way i can have a page each?

something simple would be good about now folks....lol

thanxs
and boy did i miss pF1 felt like my throat was cut havent seen you guys since saturday!

beetle

Gorela
01-04-2003, 11:13 PM
Welcome back :)

I noticed that Outlook Express has the option under "file" to create "Identities". Perhaps this will allow you to do what you require?

beetle
01-04-2003, 11:20 PM
how or what do i do to use this?
will this mean seperate mail?
pages i mean.
not all in same box mixed up like now?
i also need this new one a bit more secure so will go for a password i think.

thanxs
beetle

Jim B
01-04-2003, 11:25 PM
As mentioned you can set up another identity if you want but provided you have the correct pop server account name and password for each account set up in OE when you click on send/receive you should be able to download mail for both addresses into the one inbox.

beetle
01-04-2003, 11:33 PM
ok i got that but i was really wanting them to be seperate i dont mind in outlook together but on different inbox pages. is this possible?
one is work and one is play, both have very different address's, and both are from different isp's but both go straight to one inbox.

how can i seperate the different types of mail?

maybe i cant, dunno. would make life easier

beetle

Jen C
01-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Hi Beetle

If you create a New Identity, you can use one for work and leave the other for personal emails. The mail will be kept separate each in their own version of Outlook Express so to speak.

Full details and explanation of the process can be found here: How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express 5.x and 6.0 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=209169)

Jen

whetu
01-04-2003, 11:55 PM
just a sidenote, have you changed your smtp settings?

so you have something along these lines:

new isp email:
pop.newisp.co.nz
smtp.newisp.co.nz

old isp email:
pop.oldisp.co.nz
smtp.newisp.co.nz <-- very important that you use the smtp server provided by the isp you are using to connect to the internet

i'm not saying that this will fix your problem, i'm just checking that you've taken this step...

wuppo
02-04-2003, 09:09 AM
In Outlook Express, you can construct rules (Tools>Message Rules>Mail) to distribute incomming mail to different folders e.g based upon the address :|

beetle
03-04-2003, 12:07 AM
ok hello every one, just got home and read thread and at the moment cant quite get my head round it, as i havent looked at it since my last post on this thread. and now too tired to concentrate properly.

i have two isp's ok got that theydo not connect at same time but i can access mail off both isp's at same time? as long as something is set that way? (cant remember what its called)
ok i have done some thinking (in the spare time i have, after work and before my class, then cooking dinner for 6 adults, kids been fed already, then putting kids to bed and off to clean my empty old house, now home check mail and soon to bed!) for the new day tomorow! lol
and i will probably use these two address's seperately and only send work ones from work email at this stage, maily only getting incoming at this stage.
they are both using same phone line when connected, and the same OE inbox, and i have sorta looked at new identity but not had time to change it yet, this means ill have a inbox just for work?

sounds good thank you every one for your input, i ll let you know how i get on, either way!

still not quite up to the play but ill read some of the info ive been told to look at (tomorow i hope) and maybe understand it then.

beetle :)

Clueless
03-04-2003, 06:48 AM
Here's the set up we ran here for a little while.

Outlook identity 1(Chris)
This picked up all mail for me which included 2 @paradise.net.nz accounts, and of course my_mail@my_domain.co.nz and my_mail@my_domain.net.nz
(my_domains c/- register direct)

Outlook identity 2 (Dyan)
This picked up my better halfs mail which included 1 @paradise.net.nz account, her own @snap.net.nz account, and her_address@my_domain.co.nz

These were separate to the point were we both had to log in to OE and then it would deal with our separate personal mail and ONLY our mail.

Of course we didn't have the ISP conflict because neither paradise or snap have a problem with customers picking up mail from a computer connected to the net via something outside of their networks. There is no difficulty picking up paradise mail at Dyans house either. The picking up of mail from pop.snap.net.nz while connected to the net via cable-paradise, or picking up mail from pop.paradise.net.nz while connected to the net via dial-up-snap is not blocked by the respective ISPs

For you, a separate identity which can be fired up along with a connection to the appropriate ISP would work.
Is this what you want???

.Clueless

Clueless
03-04-2003, 06:58 AM
As pointed out by whetu above, EVERY ISP has problems with people sending mail through their servers while connected to the net via something else. They don't like it. It removes all ability to restrict what is being sent through them, and opens them up to all sorts or abuse.

Which ISPs are you using? Why 2? What are the "server settings"?

.Clueless

beetle
04-04-2003, 12:12 AM
ok first up i have made new identity and can now not access this account,
why?
i cannot open it or connect.
it still keeps turning things up in original outlook. but only from retailers?
does not seem to have any bookings or personal type mail incoming. but when i go to shut down it says i have 5 unread mail messages, i cannot find these which worries me.
i am using xtra for personal and clear net for work as it seemed to be easier to keep both and change later when work which works best,
but clear net is and has been a pain from the word go! 2 hours for me to get connected , (with help line help twice and faxs and emails from them!) i do not feel confident with these people ( over 25 mins on line before they answered)

so am feeling stressed and frustrated this is not working!
please somebody help!!!!!

where would you suggest i find these unread emails?
and what size hammer shall i use? lol

beetle

Clueless
04-04-2003, 08:42 AM
>first up i have made new identity and can now not access this account,
>why?
>i cannot open it or connect.

I'm sorry but you are going to have to be a little clearer

I'm assuming that when you created the "new identity" that you copied the 2nd email account/server details from the old identity, and deleted the details or unticked "check with every send/receive" (or whatever the tick box is labeled). If you didn't you have simply replicated and it will be picked up on a first in first served basis.

>and what size hammer shall i use?

I'd recomend a good size sledge for finding stray files. I have just the one sitting on the wet coast at the moment. It was excellent for taking down the old shed, and would have no problem getting straight past the defences of any computer!

.Clueless

beetle
04-04-2003, 02:44 PM
thanxs for the laugh needed that one today!

ill get back to you on other info ill recheck it,

beetle

beetle
05-04-2003, 11:55 PM
this is a little late but i now have a new thread on similar lines started by susan b,
one of these isp's is my new work (we decided to keep till new advertising goes out in october) which is clear.net ( i have not had any consistant details from them and very little transference between setups, but the technician was polite, im not sure how much he understood of my problem thoug?

and the personal one is xtra (so far the best of the two in help and understanding, technician help etc)

i am actually replying to this thread in query of what whetu said furthor up,
about different smtp. server things (outgoing)
can you explain to me why?

beetle

Clueless
06-04-2003, 12:08 AM
If you try to send mail out via smtp.ISP-one.co.nz while connected to ISP-two.co.nz, ISP-one will go;

"Hey, no way... you aint even a customer... so you aint goin' ta clog our networks servers with what might well be malicous mail or spam... so **** off and use your own mail servers!"

Or something like that, I think you can see the problem you are up against.

.Clueless

beetle
06-04-2003, 12:17 AM
ok yep got it

silly question i think must be tired

thanxs

beetle