PDA

View Full Version : ME problems

oldgirl
01-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi there,
We have been experening problems with Win ME ever since my hubby got this computer a couple years back.

I mean I start my e-mail program whether it be OE or Eudora and for some reason it freezes and I have to end up restarting the computer.

Even if I start a browser IE, Mozilla, Oprea, or Netscape the same thing has been happening.

Some times the e-mail program gets all the way through and I get a message <completed waiting for new message to display.> then the computer freezes and have to use the 3 finger salute,Alt, Ctrl, Del to restart the computer.

Other times <verifying user name and password, Dailup networking was unable to complete the connection. Error 718> then the computer just sits there doing nothing and am unable to do squat.

And <Status disconnecting.... Couldnot locate remote server.> again freezes or hangs and are unable to do any thing expect reboot the computer.

I cannot afford XP but can get hold of a legel copy of Win 95, was happy and fewer problems with 95, I know its going backwards but would I be better off doing this.

I have a partition on the computer with Linux 9.0 but am finding it difficult finding my way around it, better the dog you know (windows).

Don't get me wrong I like Linux and what it stands for, but just a bit to long in the tooth to start a new OS. I have had Linux for a year now, and still can not find my way with it.

I have Partition magic on the computer can I use that to delete Linux. (I inherited computer from my late hubby, so don't know a lot about it).

And this has been happening for a while now, any clues please.

Whenever I go to put the computer into Standby this message always apears:

"There is a active dailup networking connection.
Suspending your machine will close the connection.
Do you wish to continue.
Yes/No"

If I instead choose to Shut Down the computer I get no such message.

It does not seem to affect the computer but one never knows.

HP Pav 6700
Win ME
192 MB memory
15 gig hdd
External modem (56K e-modem)

I hope all this makes sense to all you guru's out there.
Your thoughts and comments please.

oldgirl :-(

whetu
01-04-2003, 10:23 PM
9x series OS'es have a tendency to "decay", more rapidly than NT and *nix do. A general rule of thumb with 9x is that you should backup and reinstall every 6 months.

If you backup and wipe your entire drive, you'll get rid of your linux partition. Then reinstall from scratch, you'll kill two birds with one stone basically.

Chilling_Silence
01-04-2003, 10:27 PM
I agree - Win2K and XP lasted long with the delay of formatting...
My record is stuffing up 98 4 times in one day ;-)

stu140103
01-04-2003, 10:33 PM
whetu sort of right:

> If you backup and wipe your entire drive, you'll get
> rid of your linux partition. Then reinstall from
> scratch, you'll kill two birds with one stone
> basically.

Also if you do this then some of your problems might go away as well :) & you will have a new installed of win ME :) so you can start from scratch.

Jen C
01-04-2003, 10:33 PM
> Other times <verifying user name and password, Dailup
> networking was unable to complete the connection.
> Error 718> then the computer just sits there doing
> nothing and am unable to do squat.
>
> And <Status disconnecting.... Couldnot locate remote
> server.> again freezes or hangs and are unable to do
> any thing expect reboot the computer.
> doing this.

> External modem (56K e-modem)

Error 718 is explained here (http://808hi.com/56k/duns718.asp) and here (http://www.vee90.net/dunerrors_718.html).

I see that you have an external Dynalink 56K e-modem, but do you still have the old PCI winmodem installed + drivers? If you do, is the old modem disabled in Hardware > Device Manager?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Dynalink driver for ME?

stu140103
01-04-2003, 10:37 PM
> My record is stuffing up 98 4 times in one day ;-)

Donít get me starts with 98 problems I had :D
I have not had many software problems with win ME only problem that I have had is my graphics on my motherboard giving up.

Chilling_Silence
01-04-2003, 10:44 PM
> whetu sort of right:
>
> > If you backup and wipe your entire drive, you'll
> get
> > rid of your linux partition. Then reinstall from
> > scratch, you'll kill two birds with one stone
> > basically.
>
> Also if you do this then some of your problems might
> go away as well :) & you will have a new installed of
> win ME :) so you can start from scratch.

Yeah - And then you've got a whole bunch of fresh problems ;-)

stu140103
01-04-2003, 10:48 PM
> Yeah - And then you've got a whole bunch of fresh
> problems ;-)

like what Chilling_Silence :)?????

Gorela
01-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Hi Whetu,

I think you will find that the linux partition will be harder to remove than that. To remove the linux it is normally best to use the linux set-up disk and use it to alter the file system type. Then it will most likely need to have the mbr reset to remove lilo or grub.

I have also found that when installing an OS if you defrag after installing each program and avoid the temptation to load programs and later uninstall them this seems to make Win9x last quite a bit longer :)

oldgirl
01-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Jen c

Thanks for your input about the modem, and yes there was the internal soft 56 modem still there, so deleted that, hope it helps some.

Gorela

After searching all the cd's I could find I found the Linux 9.0 cd's,
Now what do I do to remove Linux.
Just put the CD in the computer and reboot or something, Help!!!

On the CD face is <Mandrake Linux 9.0 CD 1 and the other is the same but CD 2 and in large letters on the Cd is apc.>

Now I believe that, that could be a magazine

oldgirl
01-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Sorry forgot to add that I all so found three CD's called HP Pavilion Recovery.

If I fomatted the computer can these cd's be used to reinstall ME.

Pheonix
01-04-2003, 11:42 PM
Run scandisk? Download and run a) Spybot b) jv16 powertools . With jv16 only use the registry cleaner, startjv16-registry tool-tools-registry cleaner Another window will open, just untick show ignored entrys. Once you have run it, go select-all (top menu) and select delete (bottom buttons) There usually is quite a list of useless entrys and it is quite safe to delete them all. Restart your PC and see how it runs.

Gorela
02-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Hi Oldgirl,

You mentioned that the linux is 9.0 so I imagine that this is Mandrake. If this is the case you need to put the first CD into your drive and reboot the computer. Hopefully your computer bios is set to Floppy,CDRom,Hard Disk as the boot sequence.

If it isn't you'll find out as soon as you reboot because you'll end up with the standard OS :)

Go through the Mandrake setup wizard and make sure you select the Expert Install. This will enable you to alter the existing partition settings. Mandrake will show you which is your windows partition and then will possibly show three additional partitions. These need to be deleted and a new partition created using the free area.

Don't delete the windows partition unless you really want to.

Mandrake will possibly label the newly created partition as / Click on this partition and alter the file format to FAT32. Then accept the new settings. The program will tell you that you will need to format the new partition. After the format has completed exit the setup program.

When you start your computer does a "bootloader menu" appear? If so it will have a number of options along the lines of.....
Windows
Mandrake
linuxFS
LinuxSecure

This will need to be removed.
You will need to create a dos or ME recovery bootdisk unless you have a floppy disk as well as the three HP Recovery Disks.

Insert the floppy and exit to dos Then type c: and then fdisk /mbr and this should remove the lilo bootloader.

Now you are just about ready to reinstall your ME operating system. :)

Elephant
02-04-2003, 12:30 AM
The three CDs you found will do the trick for you and WILL put the computer back to the day you bought it fortunately or unfortunately depending on you viewpoint.

When you boot off the first CD after asking you the script will put the computer back to the day you got it from the shop. This may or may not be a good idea.

Things to consider:-
1. You will likely end up with only ONE partition on the hard drive and that will be likely the size of the hard drive you had when the computer was new.

2. All drivers loaded for any hardware you bought since the computer was new will be deleted. I'm thinking about the modem here in particular.

3. Any downloads, documents you have created, scanned photos, emails, favourites, mp3's and new installations like Zone alarm, Norton Antivirus updates, Windows patches and the like will also go. You will need to find a way of backing up or copying anything you personally have created on the hard drive to another location.

Do you have access to a CDRW drive even from a friend. I would just hate to try backing up a 60 Gig hard drive to floppies. You could even with arrangement with a friend create a ZIP file with all the REAL IMPORTANT stuff and Email it to the friend. After you use the restore disks get the friend to Email back the ZIP file. I have in the past grabbed all the important stuff off their computer and sent it back later.

Benefit here? The Linux partition will go.

IHTH.

Chilling_Silence
02-04-2003, 08:23 AM
> > Yeah - And then you've got a whole bunch of fresh
> > problems ;-)
>
> like what Chilling_Silence :)?????

Hey - Ask now questions, tell no lies....

;-)

No, but seriously, formatting is usually pretty straight forward as long as you're sure youve got the drivers!
You NEED to have drivers or be sure they come with the OS!

Check in the FAQ here at PressF1 if you're un-sure about it, but apart from that, its not the hardest thing in the world.. :-)

Good Luck :-)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
02-04-2003, 08:27 AM
> Sorry forgot to add that I all so found three CD's
> called HP Pavilion Recovery.
>
> If I fomatted the computer can these cd's be used to
> reinstall ME.
>
> oldgirl :-(

Ah, sory - I musta missed that one.. Hadnt logged in so the view was not how I normally have it :(

Restore CD's will have all the drivers (Yay ;-)) and software likely too that came with the PC the day it was bought, however you'll still have to remove the Linux Partitions yourself, as I doubt it will do it for you. The other posts give you a couple of ways, however, I'd be more inclined to simply use FDisk from a Windows Boot Disk (See the Partitioning FAQ here too ;-)).