PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer v6

brendamundy
01-04-2003, 08:50 PM
I run an older 300 MEG clock speed HP Pavilion Computer with 128 MEG RAM on Windows 98.

I used IE 4 before but a friend updated that to IE 6 and Outlook Express 6.

I also used Netscape 4.7 which had a hundred or two messages in it as I tended to use Netscape first.

My problem is that for some reason now ALL my messages in Netscape have been deleted without any reason or anything done on my part.

The only common link is that IE 6 was installed.

Any ideas what happened to the Netscape messages and can they be recovered??

PS The few messages I had in Outlook Express 4 also have been completely eliminated, can these be recovered?

As a general rule when these programs like IE and Netscape are updated do they eliminate messages on their own programs and the "competitors"?

Pheonix
01-04-2003, 11:22 PM
I can't help with Netscape as I have never used it. I know that in the past they would fight with each other software wise. Although I haven't heard of them deleting mails of opposition. As for Explorer, go start-find and type in *.dbx This will find all your boxes (inbox outbox etc..) You will probably find 2 lots, one from OE4 and the other from OE6. If you note down where to find them and go to each inbox.dbx, rightclick and choose properties, note the one that is largest. Then open OE6 and go File-import-messages and select Outlook express 4, then point it to where the inbox.dbx (that was largest). Easy to follow your nose from there. Maybe a search on google for - netscape save mail and see if you can do something similar.

Rod J
02-04-2003, 12:54 AM
If you have trouble importing the messages directly you could download this program DBXtract (http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx) which will extract any messages in those .dbx files. They can then be dragged into your inbox again. Incidentally, I wouldn't run IE6 on Windows98. It isn't well supported on this version of Windows (from personal experience and enquiries I made on expert forums). On my own machine running Win98SE I put up with it for some time before ditching it and going back to IE5. I found IE6 took ages to start and makes Windows Explorer run rather erratically as well. IE6 does run fine on Windows ME and later, however.