PDA

View Full Version : WIRELESS Internet

olldaddy76
01-04-2003, 05:27 PM
Please tell me about Wireless technology for internet access...versus the rest... I looked in topics but NOTHING.....Why? Thanks

whetu
01-04-2003, 05:30 PM
WAN (wide area network), MAN (metropolitan area network) or LAN (local area network)?

because each have different technologies available

Chilling_Silence
01-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Well, Wireless Net, is good if you're on the move.

If you've got a laptop, you can usually hook up certain Cell Phones (Like my laptop and an 8210) and connect to the net, using the Cell Phone as a Modem (Although the connection is slower than 14.4K Dial-Up on Vodafone's Network).

Other times, using things such as Mobile Jetstream, you get 128Kbp/s connection to the web, within certain range... And its a lot better than having to find a Net Cafe that'll let you plug your Laptop into their LAN!

One down side is that at the moment, Wireless Net (Mobile Jetstream is what I have in mind) is rather expensive on a per MB basis... :(

Hope this helps

Chilling_Silence

Lohsing
01-04-2003, 06:10 PM
I think the question could be referring to wireless providers such as Walker Wireless??

Lo.

Mike
01-04-2003, 08:56 PM
If I could afford it I'd switch to Walker Wireless :)

I also hear that WW and Vodafone have pipped Telecom in both Northland and Southland for the introduction of broadband into rural areas (as set out in last years Budget).

Mike.

olldaddy76
01-04-2003, 09:46 PM
I have heard of Walker Wireless but don't know any one who uses them who could tell of "WIRELESS" advantage and comparison cost...is it for home use as well was business use...Thanks all so far for your replies....I know many of us are now a little bit wiser.......

olldaddy76
02-04-2003, 03:00 PM
See this morning's Herald for information that "Walker" is making progress in N Z but who uses it? and advantage please.....

Graham L
02-04-2003, 03:16 PM
The advantage is that there doesn't need to be a wire/fibre all the way from the network to your computer. The last bit of the physical connection is the most expensive.

If you can get a wireless link over a large area (as from the Sky tower in Auckland) it can be relatively cheap to provide. However, if you need closely spaced repeaters (like cell systems) the capital cost goes up. And the higher the capital cost, the higher the usage rate has to be.

I suspect any commercial wireless network connection is going to cost more than a wired one. It might be the only way in a particular area to get broadband, so the cost may be acceptable.