PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 hangs when I close my window

juliana
01-04-2003, 03:29 PM
I've just upgraded my old computer to Win 98 (2nd edition) from Win 95, and I stupidly deleted the 95 settings so I can't go back.

My problem is that now the computer hangs when I try to close/maximise/minimise windowframes. I've done a bit of searching and I think the problem is due to the fact that I am still using a USB mouse. I tried downloading the appropriate workaround but it hasn't seemed to have worked.

Strangely enough, my even older 486, with the same mouse and keyboard, and Windows 98 installed, works perfectly.

Have you any ideas about what I can do to fix the problem? Maybe replace the mouse? Or do I need to clean install 95 back onto the computer?

The Student
01-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Hi Juliana,

What things have you tried so far to remedie your situation?

Have you tried any of these?

*Scandisk, *Defrag *Disk Cleanup etc..

In such circumstances, your CPU could be resulting in using huge amounts of resources when opening programs that require heaps of memory and CPU requests that it starts to slow down and not respond efficiently.

When you have come to a complete stop and by all means, when your cards are no longer on the table, you shoud consider in reinstating the Windows 98 2nd Edit again and see if you get the same result.

I'm not sure if you do get an upgrade version of 98 SE, but if it means to reinstate Windows 95, then its likely that uneeded files since the upgrade aren't required.

Hope this is a helpful suggestion and someone may give you better advice.

Pheonix
01-04-2003, 06:52 PM
Video drivers are another headache that can cause the same problem. Go to the manufacturers site and download the latest version. Scandisk first though.

Dragonslayer
01-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Leave your window open then, it should be ok until winter arrives, and it gets colder at least :)

Rod J
02-04-2003, 01:06 AM
I agree with Pheonix. I've had this sort of problem myself which has been definitely linked to a faulty/corrupted video driver. Update the video driver and the problem should go away.

Another thing to check is the motherboard drivers which need to be setup after Windows is installed. You need to find out what the motherboard make and model is and go to the manufacturers site and download the latest drivers.