PDA

View Full Version : Conexant AccessRunner PCI ADSL, How do I assign a com port to it.

nz_liam
01-04-2003, 01:26 PM
I am running Win2K Server and have a Conexant AccessRunner PCI ADSL adsl modem (works like most internal ADSL modems), as with most internal ADSL modems it seems to be a hybrid device, appearing in Device Manager as a Network adaptor but not having a COM port associated with it.

However to get it to work with "Routing and Remote Access"
on 2K server I need to be able to specify a com port for it.

Has anyone done this before or got an Internal ADSL working with "Routing and Remote Access" on 2K??

Chilling_Silence
01-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Try updating the drivers for it, and then its likely configurable in the device properties :-)

nz_liam
01-04-2003, 03:16 PM
> Try updating the drivers for it, and then its likely
> configurable in the device properties :-)

Actually that wont work, I have the latest drivers, it's nothing to do with that, I just need to make it a Routing Drvice in Win2k server, which I't looks like I cant do without a com port.

Well if i can't get it going, does any one want a brand knew Internal ADSL router, with a 1 year waranty, at wholesale price.

Chilling_Silence
01-04-2003, 03:21 PM
How much?

I could do you a swap for a single 802.11b USB>Wireless LAN adapter!

What made you go internal anyways?

If it still works as an ADSL modem... I guess.. what price?

Send me a txt, or ICQ me :-)

nz_liam
01-04-2003, 05:50 PM
> How much?
>
> I could do you a swap for a single 802.11b
> USB>Wireless LAN adapter!
>
> What made you go internal anyways?
>
> If it still works as an ADSL modem... I guess.. what
> price?
>
> Send me a txt, or ICQ me :-)

Actually I've already used wireless, (the cards make a better door stop than a network adaptor).

Yes it still works fine as an ADSL modem, infact it works just like any other internal modem, you can run ICS (Internet connection sharing) on it etc, it just wont work with the specific server technology that I require.

I'll give you a call later when you are home.

Liam

TerryW
02-04-2003, 10:00 AM
I got RRAS going with a Nokia NI200 without any great problems.

I am not sure of the workings of your particular modem, but with mine I install the Itex PPOA software which generates the DSL "Link" and then in RRAS I created a Dial on Demand (I think) connection, told it to use the device Ni200 and gave it my username and password.

Let me know if it isnt that straightforward and I will have a look at mine for the finer points.

Finally, someone not running linux as their internet box...

nz_liam
02-04-2003, 05:32 PM
> I got RRAS going with a Nokia NI200 without any great
> problems.
>
> I am not sure of the workings of your particular
> modem, but with mine I install the Itex PPOA software
> which generates the DSL "Link" and then in RRAS I
> created a Dial on Demand (I think) connection, told
> it to use the device Ni200 and gave it my username
> and password.
>
> Let me know if it isnt that straightforward and I
> will have a look at mine for the finer points.
>
> Finally, someone not running linux as their internet
> box...

That's nor really what I'm after, the reason the modem wont work with my system is because I need to assign a COM port to it so that I can setup static routs in 2K server, however as I have found out you cant do that with Internal modes as they are hybrid devices that use a software package as well as drivers and hence forth you cant assign a com port.

As for Linux, don't get me wrong, I :x Linux, it's just that in this case I't made sense to use windows, because I have a 100% windows network which requires windows based server services, so I't made sense to use the 2K Back office Server Package I had sitting arround.

As for the modems, the conexant modem I could take back for a full refund (because I brought it from a retail store), however the brand new/never used/opened modem I want to sell is a D-Link DSL-100 running on the Itex chipset, I brought the modem driect from Tech-Pac (a distributor) and hence I can't just take it back because I don't want it any more, if anyone is interested in it, I will sell it at cost just to get it off my hands.

Cheers

Liam

TerryW
03-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Firstly, can it dial-up at the moment without RRAS? Does yours work like I described mine - run the Itex program then do a dial up connection to authenticate?

What you want to do is add the interface to rras and then you can setup your static route for your internet

Add the device in RRAS
Make sure you are not connected - I have found sometimes it can be a bit titchy, so a reboot before doing this can help. Just launch the Itex software to create the "connection" but don't login with your dialup account yet
Right-click routing interfaces...New Demand Dial Interface
Next, next...
No if you don't have the device listed under here, then you have a problem. I don't know much
about internal DSL modems, but I gather in NZ we are all using Itex chipsets, so maybe the drivers for the Ni200 that I use will give you a listing under here.
The rest of it is pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps; but I am probably just repeating what you know already.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Terry