PDA

View Full Version : Using Sendto to print a file directly to printer

mikebartnz
31-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Hi there all
I want to set it up so someone can use the right click SendTo to send a file directly to the printer without using an application and have forgotten how to do it. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Murray P
31-03-2003, 11:12 PM
What OS Mike

Cheers

Murray P

godfather
31-03-2003, 11:12 PM
You will likely only be able to "send to" the printer if the document has previously been printed to a file, instead of a printer. Then you can send that file to the printer.

A utility to do that is here (http://www.bttsoftware.co.uk/sendtop.html)

From the sound of it thats not what you want, however I strongly suspect you will not find anything that knows how to open every possible application, command it to print, then close it.

Every different application keeps the output documents in its own proprietry format, not a common one.

Murray P
31-03-2003, 11:33 PM
Hi

Can't seem to be able to send to a printer in w2k. Remember doing so in 95 for fax which uses the fax/print utility, a work around may be to print it instead. Tweak UI might be helfull?? or a shared printer on a network (streaching for that one).

HTH

Murray P

Murray P
31-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Hi again

In w2k. Go to control panel, printers, right click the desired printer and select create shortcut. windows will tell you it can't create a shortcut here, do you want to create it on the desktop instead, "say yes please" then click ok. Next right drag and drop in your Sent To folder (under Documents & Settings in w2k, your user profile) and hey presto its there and it works :)

Cheers

Murray P

PS. Haven't tried in win98 yet. What OS?

mikebartnz
01-04-2003, 06:58 AM
Thanks good people.
The little program you pointed to Godfather looks like it will do the trick.
OS is Win98SE. Murray P I managed to create the shortcut but it still wants a program through which to do the printing.
In the old days of Dos I used to use the Print command all the time but it no longer exists and I tried the Copy file.prn>prn and that didn't work either.

Graham L
01-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Well, "copy file.prn > prn" is unlikely to work. "Copy" doesn't use redirection (">") for the (file) output. The only redirectable output would be the "error" or "standard" console streams. You might get "No files copied" (or something like "Can't copy file to itself") because there is no output specification before the redirection >.:D

It also requires you to have previously "printed" to a file, which I suppose you have done. If this is the sort of file you are trying to "Send To", I suspect horrible things will happen if you send an already processed printer driver output to a printer driver. ;-)