PDA

View Full Version : nVidia GeForce MX Fan Noise

Kerry B
31-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I have the above card in my system, and the fan is making a continual humming/grinding noise. Until yesterday - it would stop after a few mins from start-up, but now is going all the time.

I assume I need to replace the fan - rather than the card, but does anyone know of anywhere in Auckland that I can get a replacement fan?

Many thanks in advance.

Kerry

Murray P
31-03-2003, 09:51 PM
Hi Kerry

I don't know where to get a replacement but would be interested to know too. I have a GeForce 2 Gts Pro with a similar (sounding) problem.

I replaced the fan for awhile with a (larger) 40mm fan but it didn't cool the card as effectively (didn't fit the housing that well) so , oiled the old one and popped it back in but expect it to clap out soon.

Seems it could be a problem with some of these cards. Make sure your card monitoring utility is running to avoid a fry up when/if the fan stops completely.

Cheers

Murray P

Kerry B
31-03-2003, 10:04 PM
Thanks Murray,

Will do if I can find somewhere.

the card monitoring utility you talk about? I do not have one.....but I think my card is on the way out - as my screen is now shaking for a couple of seconds every 5-10 mins.

Thanks - and will let you know how I get on

Kerry

Murray P
31-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Hi

Could be getting a bit warm, stability will suffer. Try the manufacturers site for a monitoring utility or the cards installation CD, if the card and mother board support monitoring.

Cheers

Murray P