PDA

View Full Version : new install xp but no admin rights??

craigrob
30-03-2003, 09:36 PM
I have just installed xp pro on brand new system and when i try to import internet favourites from a file on a cd/rw disk a windows pops up saying I need admin rights to save this file!
I am logged in as the administrator so why am i having this prob??
And should i be surfing the web logged on as administrator? I read somewhere that this is dangerous as it leaves your computor open to attack?
Any help appreciated!

raddersnz
30-03-2003, 10:31 PM
> And should i be surfing the web logged on as
> administrator? I read somewhere that this is
> dangerous as it leaves your computer open to attack?

Please let me know where you read this bit of news, I would like to read the article as I only use my Admin logon. I believe with a firewall and virus protection I am invinceable. If this is not true, I would like to know.
For now I will continue to use my admin logon though

- I am not saying it is good to, just I haven't heard otherwise.

Radz:p

-=JM=-
30-03-2003, 10:58 PM
It is beneficial in the same sense as one should not use *nix while logged in as root all that often.

As for the not being allowed to update the files. No idea how that happens.

bmason
30-03-2003, 11:23 PM
From unix land, the reason is if a remote site is able to use a bug in your browser (or other app) to gain access to your computer, they have the same access restrictions as the account you were using.

If its root/admin then they can do a lot more damage than a normal user.

How much difference it makes on windows depends on how restricted your user accounts are.

minos#2
30-03-2003, 11:36 PM
hold down the windows key and press the "L" key

that should log you out of windows ( i'm making some assumptions here ) and you should see the name of the account you've logged in as and if its an admin account!

:-)

Kame
31-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Just correcting minos's assumption... that's actually the lock window for XP, doesn't log you out but locks the screen until the User or an Admin type in their login details.