PDA

View Full Version : A drive not accessed on boot

tedheath
30-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Howdy people

I wish to make some rescue disks for NAV but I have the problem of the A drive not getting picked up on boot.
I seem to remember before, if I left a floppy in by accident the boot would stop until I did something.
I cant test rescue disk until I get the drive to work on boot so when I go restart it will get me onto the rescue disk test.

thanks
tedheath

godfather
30-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Set it to be first on the list under Boot options in your BIOS.

minos#2
30-03-2003, 07:52 PM
... and also check that the floppy cable has not become unplugged and is the right way arround etc... and listen to Grandfather :)

tedheath
30-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks for your reply minos2 and godfather,

You are talking to a retard here, how do I make the changes in the BIOS?.
The floppy drive works all right I use it all the time so the cable should be ok right?
The problem I have is it dosent access the A drive on boot.You know in windows if you leave the floppy in the drive it wont complete the boot will it?
I have W98SE not sure of the rest of the stuff I have here.
I had a premo Macrocom computer before but it got fried in a lightening strike. Funny the insurance gave me a computer 3 times as powerful etc but its rubbish.

tedheath

kiwibeat
31-03-2003, 08:14 AM
you have to set it up in bios to be 1st boot up device hold down delete ket on bootup and then look for correct menu usually HDD0 then cdrom then floppy is in it just change the order be careful dont alter other settings

tedheath
31-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Thanks for your reply kiwibeat.
I held down delete key on boot but it didnt go into any other screens just carried on booting up as per normal.
Is there another key I could hold down?
thanks

tedheath

Graham L
31-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Try F2. Or if it's a Compaq, f10 when the white square apears at the top RH corner of the screen. Or just hold any key down from the moment of power up, to cause a keyboard error which often lets you select the BIOS setup. :D

tedheath
31-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Thanks for replying GrahamL
I held down F2 key didnt work tried lots of other keys on boot.
Tried with all my fingers and thumbs pushing down on keys
Nope nothing works it just boots up as per normal.
Is there another way to get into BIOS?
I have Goback installed could that be a problem?
Thanks for help so far

tedheath

godfather
31-03-2003, 11:58 PM
What type/name/model of PC have you actually got?

You said you had a Macrocom, but it was fried and replaced.

With What?

Common keys to press are F1, F2, DEL depending on the type of PC.
Only one key, not all at once. Mine is DEL, my backup PC is F1.

Just start tapping the key about every second as it boots.

Elephant
01-04-2003, 12:34 AM
While booting the Computer you will normally see some white writing on a black screen. Try reading this. Sometimes this writing can go by very fast. If you first see the white writing try pressing the Pause key ( Top right and to the left of the number key block )

If you do it at the right time you may then see a screen that says "Press <Del> or <F1> or <CNTRL F1> or <ALT F12> etc to enter BIOS.

I hope this helps.

tedheath
01-04-2003, 09:52 AM
My computer according to the receipt from the insurance company is Aristocrat Ascension 1200gigapro.
What ever this is its crap compared to Intel p111 600 I had from Macrocom.
On boot it says press Delete for menu I have done this but nothing happens it just boots up to windows the same.
Could Goback be causing the problem?
Is there another way to get into the BIOS?
Thanks for your help so far

tedheath

Pheonix
01-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Have you tried it with both Delete keys? There is one below the Insert key and another on the NumPad righthand side. I had one keyboard that would only have delete key work on bootup.

tedheath
01-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks Phoenix and the other people who have helped me here.
I didn't even know there was a delete key on the number pad but it worked I got into the BIOS. Man the BIOS stuff looks like scary ****, managed to change floppy to first. I can now test my rescue disks.
Thanks again people.

tedheath

Elephant
02-04-2003, 12:59 AM
What is MORE scary is that on a Copernic Agent search and a Google search is that I came up with no results on what the BIOS version may be. That was trying several search terms based on your description.

When your computer was replaced did you get a motherboard manual?

tedheath
02-04-2003, 09:59 AM
No Elephant I didnt get any manual other than one piece of photocopied paper A4 with a breif description of the new internals.
Compared to my P111 600 this computer is is crap.
It makes more noise than a Mack Truck with the exhaust off.
When it dies I will get one with with an Intel chipset.
I only now have the case and monitor from the Macrocom computer everything else was replaced when it got fried by electrical surge.

tedheath