PDA

View Full Version : Transfering files through network from WinXP to DOS?

somebody
30-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Is it possible to transfer files through a network from WinXP to a DOS machine? The CD ROM drive on the DOS machine hates any CDs I burn, so burning the image file to a CD is kind of out of the question.

I want to use Norton Ghost to restore the OS on the machine which is currently running DOS.

The only option I can think of is physically removing the hard drive, and putting it into the WinXP machine to copy the file.

cyberchuck
30-03-2003, 07:46 PM
I'm not too sure how Ghost works, but here are a few suggestions:
1) Move your CD-Drive from XP to the DOS machine for Ghosting
2) Use InterLnk or some DOS Based File Transfer thingy (that will take a while over serial cable)
3) Install Windows 95/98 or something minor like that, get XP and Win95/98 communicating and then copy it over via network cable (hell of a lot faster than serial cable)
4) If Ghost runs in DOS then you could look for a Network Card that has Dos drivers, if you can get it up and running, that means you could get the ghost image off the XP Machine?

CyberChuck

somebody
30-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Ok. Thanks cyberchuck.

The problem I have is that
a) My Win98 CD doesn't work anymore (scratched badly)
b) I can't get the network to work with Win95 :(

I think you're right, my only option at the moment is to physically move the hard drive, or the CD Drive.

Kame
31-03-2003, 11:44 AM
If your WinXP has been formatted in NTFS then moving that drive to the DOS drive will not work.

Moving the CDROM drive to the DOS (DOS you are meaning Win95?) machine may not work under DOS.

Logically I'd move the DOS drive to the WinXP drive and copy what you want (booting up XP) and putting them in the DOS drive.

Dolby Digital
31-03-2003, 01:48 PM
The "DOS" machine, can it see the network (or is that the win95 machine)?

Graham L
31-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Moving the hard disk might be the easiest option. Just make sure that the BIOSs agree on the physical parameters of the drive.

There are various FTP clients for DOS. Links for some have been posted here.

Laplink or similar (MS's) file transfer programmes also work with serial or parallel ports. Would Kermit work in the XP DOS emulation? :D

somebody
31-03-2003, 04:42 PM
hmm... I've got Win95 going on that machine at the moment (the one that was running DOS). I've tried configuring the network to get it going, to no avail.

I'll try and track down a copy of Laplink. Although I know how to, I don't really want to physically take out the HDDs, unless it's absolutely last resort.

Murray P
31-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Hi

Have a look at this http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpwin9x.htm for networking /./ 95 & xp.

Cheers

Murray P

Graham L
31-03-2003, 04:59 PM
The MS equivalent of LapLink was Interlink. It might be in the OLDOS directory of a W95 CD. I don't know if it works in XP. :D Laplink was available on the August 2002 Australian PC mag CD.

somebody
31-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Thanks Murry for your site. I will investigate this.

Also, Thanks Graham. I have a feeling it won't work on XP, as a program a friend gave me (an early version of FastLynx) didn't work either.

Merlin
01-04-2003, 12:04 AM
Yes - it is possible
Methods and connections are varied

Depends on what is required

Best options - for using Ghost - revolve around networking the two machines using TCP/IP and sharing the DOS HDD and a folder on XP or both machines connected using a parallel cable.
Serial connections will not work with what is indicated as the desired outcome.

See Symantec for further info.

TerryW
02-04-2003, 09:19 AM
When burning CD's for an old drive like that; drop the speed right down (try 1x) and turn off multi-session, finalise it and try write it DAO or Disk at Once.

As far as networking to your XP box goes, the others are correct, Ghost will let you save the image across the network and bring it back from the network over TCP - Ghost has a wizard for making the bootdisks, it is sort of a follow your nose affair.

What I like to do is use something like this -

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dosclnt3.htm

Setup the MS Dos Client for networks and go from there. I use a boot CD for this but I suspect it won't quite fit on a CD so what I would recommend is backing up your config.sys and autoexec.bat on your DOS machine and creating a boot menu to choose to boot from network client or into windows.

The advantage of the network client way is that you can just map drives over to the xp one, or if you set it up as a "server" you can map the hdd of the dos machine from the xp box.

If you setup menu's, you need to turn off Window's auto starting. On the w9x machine edit msdos.sys and change bootgui=1 to bootgui=0, this means you will need to put win at the end of autoexec.bat to get it to load.

Then you can setup config.sys for a bootmenu much like what is seen when booting of the W98 se cd -

somebody
02-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your suggestions TerryW.

Luckily I borrowed a CD ROM drive from a friend, and it could read my CDs.

I'll give your suggestion about burning CDs a go at some stage.

I have an OEM version of Ghost which came with my motherboard, so it doesn't have any of those functions.

I'm having a go with the DOS network, in case I ever need it again:)

Also, thanks to everyone who has posted suggestions in this topic. I appreciate your help very much.