PDA

View Full Version : Open office CD (Linux)

Clueless
30-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Does anyone know where i can can get a copy of Openoffice for Linux?

Netguide has one but it's for Doze and possibly mac, but not *nix.
I'd prefer to get it with a magazine, and get some free reading as well!

I've exceeded my 10GIG/month data transfer allocation, so i wont be downloading it for a week or 2. I'd prefer to just "get" a CD anyway.

.Clueless

Gorela
30-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Howdy Clueless,

Open Office is basically a forked Sun Star Office. Sun gave the developers all of the code for their Star Office 5.0 which I think you will find on the SuSE CD's. Dr Floppy (http://www.drfloppy.co.nz) is selling Star Office 6.0 with a six user licence and 8.0 updates, but it's not cheap. The site does say it is an update to 8.1, but that is the only site that says that.

I think the November (could be the October) APC had a Mandrake 9.0 which comes with Open Office, but no documentation. Another option would be to send an e-mail to nzlinuxer. He's at ihug and will download anything linux for a small price.

The documentation will most likely be available online :)

Clueless
30-03-2003, 01:35 PM
hmmmm..

Thats interesting to hear Gorela!

I tried the version of star office that comes with SuSE8. I can't remember the version number, and as i'm nowhere near Sam or my SuSE disks. I won't know for a few days. Admittantly this was just after i first got SuSE up and running, so i wasn't keen to start tweaking anything to make it better.

What i do know is this. When i tried out Star it was just plain wrong, the layout when reading a .doc was just wrong, really wrong.
I've been using M$Office2000 for some things for a while now, so that is what i was comparing to. However when i went into computerfuture CHCH 3(?)weeks ago and looked at the preinstalled redhat machine they had there, i saw open office and was rather impressed.

Perhaps another look at the version of "star" office i have is in order?

Either that or i'll wait till the 5th (start of another paradise-cable billing cycle) and just download the thing.

HEY BRUCE, OR SOMEONE FROM IDG
This would be a great thing to put on the next "free" CD!

.Clueless

Jen C
30-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Hi Clueless

Honeylaser posted in this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=32961&message=145341#145341) a NZ website where you can order OpenOffice 1.0.2 (english) (Windows, Linux, Mac) on a CD for just $6. See OpenOffice.org in New Zealand (http://www.openoffice.org.nz/order.php).

Cheers
Jen

Chilling_Silence
30-03-2003, 05:53 PM
I made a thread not too long ago - remember ;-)

It should be on the SuSE disc's? No? It came with RH8?

I followed my nose - from the tucows site, and got a local mirror, so it'll be cheaper if not free!

60 megs if i remember rightly, and a 2c a meg, its there faster and cheaper than getting a CD.

Dont forget that some ISP's (Like Ihug) offer national bandwidth for free :-)

have a look for my thread I made about 5 days ago and follow your nose!

JohnD
30-03-2003, 07:52 PM
A good place to get is www.copyleft.co.nz

John

Clueless
30-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Hey thanks all.

Sounds like I'll be doing a bit of a download soon after i get home, it should only take an hour or so.

Chill. Yes i note the "free local bandwidth" that some ISPs offer, this doesn't apply to me as i am on cable which means i must be with telstra-paradise. Only telecom offer DSL through a number of ISPs

SuSE8 only comes with "Star Office."

.Clueless