PDA

View Full Version : Dynalink PCI-USB 1.0 Card & 2F8h COM Address Conflict

BruceB
30-03-2003, 10:14 AM
I recently bought a Dynalink USB card to download family photos from my Pentium 100 running Windows 98 SE with a USB Drive.

Windows recognized the card, but the system froze up when Windows endeavoured to download the USB driver.

I took my computer into the dealer who sold me the card and the technician told me it was a window's problem and that I would have to reload Windows 98 SE.

Not only had the technician damaged my case by forcing the cover off and on with a screwdriver, but he left me with the 2F8h COM conflict, something that did not exist when I took the computer in. The conflict message arises when the computer is loading up from the BIOS at Startup and I have to press F1 to continue.

I have since removed the board, totally reloaded Windows, but the COM Conflict remains. How do I overcome ths/these problems please?

bmason
30-03-2003, 11:28 AM
You will need to go into your BIOS settings by hitting delete where it asks you to hit F1.

It will bring up a menu. [Assuming its an award bios, which is the most common] Enter the integrated peripherals menu.

Make a note of the settings for Onboard Serial Port 1 & 2 and post them back here.

The defaults are "3F8/IRQ4" and "2F8/IRQ3".

whetu
30-03-2003, 11:55 AM
or if you dont use your serial ports at all, disable them

Terry Porritt
30-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Also, you have to remember, USB was not around when your computer was made or at the very least was in a rudimentary form, and most probably not supported by your BIOS or mother board. There were Via chipset USB fixes for earlier boards and Win98, which may be applicable depending if your motherboard has Via chipset.
Telling you to re-install Windows was rubbish, the tech didnt know what he was on about, not that is, unless your operating system was in such a mess that he thought that was the best thing to do.

Terry Porritt
30-03-2003, 02:28 PM
I dug this link out from my favorites concerning USB not working in Win98SE and links to MS USB update patches:
http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

BruceB
30-03-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks guys for your replies.

The BIOS is a Phoenix and the serial port settings are exactly as BMason said they should be. I have disabled them both without adverse effect.

I will attempt to reinstall the USB card tomorrow, but I suspect the PC is too old to drive it.