PDA

View Full Version : System Installer Files

Symon
30-03-2003, 12:55 AM
Hi, how do I Update system installer files because I cannot install LOTR Fellowship of the Rings demo. I have WinXP, DirectX9, SiS Graphics card and medium fast processor AMD Athlon 1.4GHZ. I really want to try this game out. Am new to computing.

Murray P
30-03-2003, 04:17 AM
Hi

Do you have the game disk or have you downloaded it. Why do you need to update the system installer, what message are you getting?

Cheers

Murray P

raddersnz
30-03-2003, 05:03 AM
Try copying the file from the CD to your HDD first. From here you can (should be able to) install the file correctly.

Step 1 - right click on start, then select explore.

Step 2 - organise a folder to place the game file.

Step 3 - find the CD drive, and ( I take it you are using the PCWorld CD ) select it.

Step 4 - select the games folder.

Step 5 - right click on the fellowship_demo.exe file ( keep the mouse button pressed the whole time ), and drag it to the folder you want to place it in. Release the button, and select copy.

Step 6 - you can now double click the fellowship_demo.exe file you just copied.

If this does not work then I'm sorry, as no-one can help you know ..... LOL
I'm sure someone will have an answer if you still have difficulties.
Just a question, now that I think of it, are you logged on as an Administrative User?:| or a Guest?:| or a Limited User?:|
There aren't many programs which a Limited User can install - maybe one or two?:|

Radz:p

Symon
30-03-2003, 10:59 PM
Thanks raddersnz,
Downloaded the demo to my new folder, installsheild started to install the demo and part way through I got an error message Error:-1603 Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information. Sorry this is way above my head, can you help with this.

godfather
31-03-2003, 01:17 AM
Symptoms
When running setup.exe, you get the following error message:

"Error 1603: Fatal Error During Installation"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause / Resolution
Error 1603 is a generic system specific issue. Listed below are some common causes and their resolutions. More causes may be added as they are identified by InstallShield Technical Support.

Cause 1

This error is known to occur on machines that do not have enough disk space to install the setup and store rollback files. This space is generally required on the root drive even if the setup may be installed to a different drive.

Resolution

Make sure that you have enough space on the root drive of the machine. This space is required by setup to uncompress files in the temp directory and to store rollback information in the Windows directory of the machine. Even though the setup may be installed on another drive, its imperative that the machine have at least twice the space as the size of the setup on the root drive (the drive with the Windows operating system installed on it).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause 2

The system temp directory is not clean. Either the temp directory does not have an adequate amount of space, or it has too many files that may conflict with setup files.

Resolution

Clean the default temp directory. This is the temp directory that setup extracts files to and runs from. To access the default temp directory, launch the DOS prompt on the machine, type "Set", and hit enter. This displays the values of all the environment variables including TEMP. Make sure to clean the temp directory pointed to by the variable TEMP.

Cause 3

A certain file on the machine is locked, or setup attempts to reboot because of a locked file, which fails.

Resolution

To make sure that a locked file is not causing the error, close all applications running in the background, reboot the machine, and run setup again.

Cause 4

The Windows Installer Service is not properly installed or authored on the machine.

Resolution

Update the system with the latest Windows Installer Service. The latest version of Windows Installer Service shipped by Microsoft is MSI 2.0. Make sure to run InstmsiW.exe on Win NT and/or InstmsiA.exe on Win 9.X/ME. For more information on updating the Windows Installer Service, refer to the Additional Information section.

Cause 5

The user running the setup does not have Administrative privileges.

Resolution

To run a Windows Installer-based setup, you will need administrative privileges on Windows XP machines. Make sure that you are logged in as the administrator on the machine.

tech
31-03-2003, 02:00 PM
It requires a 3D card.