PDA

View Full Version : Installing Sound drivers for PC133 MB

Billy T
29-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Hi Team

No.1 daughter is giving me trouble again (or at least her computer is)!

It is a PIII700 using a PC133 M756T series MB with integrated everything, including sound. Everything has seemed normal up until this afternoon when I had to install Auralia 2.1 (a music teaching program) for her to do some practice. Everything worked OK with sound etc until she had to sing scales to it and wanted a microphone set up for her.

I plugged in the mic and blithely went to the volume control icon in the system tray to set up the various levels etc, only it wasn't there. :O

I was a bit taken aback because her sound has been working fine and still is, playing all system sounds and CDs etc. no problem at all.

Some quick sleuthing found that sndvol32.exe was not present in winnt/system32 where it was supposed to be, and in fact it was in winnt/system 32/dllcache.?:| A few other sound files appeared to be missing too, so I grabbed the MB manual & drivers disk to reinstall them but when I got to the setup screens I called halt because it is not 100%clear what the process will do.

I am familiar with most such operations but I haven't time to rectify any stuff-ups right now so discretion being the better part of valour, I am seeking advice before, not after the disaster.

So, if I uncheck everything in setup except the sound files, will this leave the rest of the existing installation completely alone?

I know it is highly improbable that the setup procedure would start from scratch and uninstall everything before installing the selected items only, but stranger things have been known to happen.

Put my mind at rest before I start.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Yes, I do have an up to date image of the C:\ drive but I won't
learn anything by simply restoring the present configuration
and I'll still have to fix the sound & mic input.

robsonde
29-03-2003, 09:23 PM
sounds like you are ok to go with the sound drivers from the CD.

Billy T
30-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Thanks for that, but I woke up in the night with the distinct feeling I might have had a d'oh moment here.

It suddenly struck me that all my other computers show the same volume control features, so the actual software must be part of Windows. That the sound is working in most other respects suggests that the MB sound drivers are all present and correct.

I checked "Help About" and sure enough, it is a Windows program and part of the multi-media package. What was fooling me was that it has SoundBlaster at the bottom, but like a lot of MS features, it has been licenced for inclusion with the OS.

I loaded it from the W2k CD and now all is well.

Sheesh!!!!!!!

I'd hate to have to pay somebody to come in and keep my system running. Thank heavens for PF1, even if all it does is wake you up in the middle of the night to tell you how stupid you have been.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I have 20-20 hind-sight.:| It is only going forwards
that gets me into trouble :D