PDA

View Full Version : updates

iron-zeus
29-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Can anyone help
When i try to up date my virus data base, or if i try to install the windows updates, the updates download fine, but when my computer prompts me to restart to complete installation, As its booting up the screen comes up black an says "1 or more files could not be updated" and under that it says " could not upgrade %1 to%2, windows is no trying to restart your computer" Then the computer restarts, Then when i connect to the net windows update prompts me to download the same update again?? and my anti virus says update file is still to old?? I run IE6, Windows ME, And have virus scanned computer with second party software for any virus, Can any one please help

robo
30-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Oh boy. This is related to a problem I have which I haven't fixed (but mine isn't quite as bad).
Check the autoexec.bat to see if something in there is trying to run but can't (look for the %1% and %2% variables). I don't think it will be. It sounds like it could be in a batch file somewhere or it could be a file association that is not quite right (they use those variables too).
I know sod all about ME.
Anyone else got any ideas?
robo.

kiwibeat
30-03-2003, 09:34 AM
Reinstall your virus scanner corrupted files? or use another one like Panda or Nortons anti virus

kiwibeat
30-03-2003, 09:36 AM
If you are in WGTN I can help you out have most my stuff on cd

iron-zeus
30-03-2003, 10:02 AM
Tried different virus software, its not just the virus program, its windows updates as well??

iron-zeus
30-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Bummer, im in Hawkes Bay, thanks anyway :)

kiwibeat
30-03-2003, 10:13 AM
Do a reinstall with 98 SE , ME was rushed out and is a fatally flawed product that Microsoft used merely to make lots of money off .

kiwibeat
30-03-2003, 10:16 AM
If you need any more advice etc welcome to email me

Susan B
30-03-2003, 10:37 AM
> ME was rushed out and is a fatally flawed product that Microsoft used merely to make lots of money off .

How many times do you have to be told that your "opinion" on this is not supported by a great many experienced happy users of Win ME on this forum? That indicates to me that your computer knowledge and skills are seriously deficient. :|

Gorela
30-03-2003, 11:09 AM
The above problem most probably is NOT related to ME, but more likely due to the Microsoft Update site or packet corruption during downloading. I had a similar problem with two ME PC's not accepting one particular update. After downloading it four times it finally decided that it was installed after all :)

Currently I have the same problem with a Java update on Win 2K. I have only downloaded this one three times and am about to check if it has "updated" yet.

Baldy
30-03-2003, 11:37 AM
> Do a reinstall with 98 SE , ME was rushed out and is
> a fatally flawed product that Microsoft used merely
> to make lots of money off .

Rubbish. That was a helpful piece of advise kiwibeat. He might not have access to another OS. He wants help with what he's got

iron-zeus
30-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Its not just micro soft updates that are causing the problem its my virus data base updates as well, i don't no if its related but ive just noticed my system restore has not created any restore points for a while now, and i also cant create one either??

Thomas
30-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Take a look at this MS Knowledge Base Article: Q283069

iron-zeus
30-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Yes thats the exact problem i have, but when i search for the wininit.ini the article refers to ,there isn't one???

iron-zeus
30-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for there help,My updates and system restore are all working again :) Id run registry checker a number of times, with no errors, I ended up typing Scanreg/fix in dos, and presto all my probs fixed, Ain't it great when that happens, Thanks all:)

Murray P
31-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Hi

To save having to re-download windows updates if things go awry, you can now configure the windows update site to save the (usually) automatic updates to disk and keep an update catalogue saved on your system. Go to http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp and select "Personalise Windows Update" in the left pane in the window select "Display the link to the windows update catalogue under See Also" and "Save Settings" top right. Go to Catalogue under See Also. Go onto the update section.

Will save you the trouble of sorting and downloading the updates in the future. Save your updates to a different partition or disk as an added precaution.

Cheers

Murray P