PDA

View Full Version : copying large files to floppies

Thomas01
29-03-2003, 09:12 AM
I need to copy a large PUB file from my main computer to my laptop. I only have floppies to do this. I know there are programs to copy large flies onto multiple floppies (I have used them many times in the distant past), but I cannot remember any names of them. Additionally I believe there is at least one on the PCWorld CDs (I have them all). I have failed to find it.
Please help a forgetful pensioner.
Hey that's pathetic - I was ALWAYS forgetful.

tweak\'e
29-03-2003, 09:37 AM
use a compression program like winzip,winrar,ace which can compress it and span it over multiable disks.

wotz
29-03-2003, 09:38 AM
The winzip file has to be created on the floppy, not copied to it, for spanning to work.

Gorela
29-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi Thomas,

You might have been thinking of xtree gold which was the old standard, but sadly this is no longer available. There is this page (http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/downloader/fwfilesplit.shtml) which has a number of freeware utilities and you could also have a look at extreme (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link) which is supposedly something similar to xtree.

Chilling_Silence
29-03-2003, 10:03 AM
If you're an average Joe Bloggs user, and I can agree with WinZip coz most PC's are more likely to have it.... And its GUI is a little easier to use over WinAce.

However, WinAce's compression is certainly greater, but only good if both you and the receiving PC have it.

PKUnzip will even extract files from a spanned-floppy.

The Student
29-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi,

Following from other comments, if you want to download directly from the Internet, just download from www.winzip.com

Alternatively, if(thats a big IF) you have Adobe Acrobat or know someone who does, you can use that to compress your entire file completely to fit into your floppy disk.

Note: There is a difference between Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Acrobat Reader. (Acrobat Reader just reads files the were compiled from Adobe Acrobat)

cheers

ionic
29-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Acrobat is not a file compression utility, although the .pdf file it creates may well be smaller than the original PUB file. And you will not be able to edit the file in Publisher.

ionic
29-03-2003, 10:50 AM
Use Winzip, as suggested earlier-
-OR- here are 2 more ideas
if both PCs have modems, just email it to yourself as an attachment, then open your mail on the laptop and download it.
if you want to do this regularly, get a file transfer cable (parallel version is faster than serial and only $10 or so) and transfer files using a utility like FastLynx (free download from download.com) This is the fastest of all other options.

Thomas01
29-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks everybody. Yes I have WinZip and also XT GOLD (Fabulous program - still on every computer I have used. But neither of the suggestions are the one I was looking for.
The program I used to use simply copies down to a floppy and when its full you put another in - the program handles the transfer with no fuss or compression needed.

tweak\'e
29-03-2003, 11:44 AM
the whole idea of useing a compression prog (i prefer winrar myself) was so that it will make thefile smaller, you can add a recovery record (in case the file gets damaged) and it will spit it over several disks. it will simply prompt you for the next disk when one is full. also almost every one has a commpresion program installed so no need for an extra program. i prefer this way simply because it saves you having to send another program to the other person for them to rejoin the files.

Terry Porritt
29-03-2003, 12:32 PM
THIS is the program you need, Splitter. It does exactly what you describe, but not only that, it puts a copy of the splitter program on one of the floppies so that it gets transfered to the other machine if you want it. You just run an exe to combine the split files back into one again. You dont need the program on the other machine.

Download here for free:
http://www.sarasoft.com/freewares.htm

Billy T
29-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Calling Gorela & Thomas01

I too was an XTree fan and wept tears of blood when I found that it didn't work well with long file names etc in a 32-bit environment .

Then I found ZTree, an absolutely magical 32-bit look alike that is hard to tell from the original, even though it is a full rewrite ina different programming language.

Best of all, it is a free download, though I love it so much I paid for it (which gets rid of the nag screen.

There are only two drawbacks: It does not have the Oops facility for undeleting files, and you have to do some manual work to set up the zip features, though you can employ your favourite program if you like.

It is still the best and fastest file manager around and if you were brought up on XTree, you will be right at home instantly as all the commands and interfaces are identical.

Find it with a Google search on ZTree.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
29-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Well, PKZip asks for another floppy when one is full. I prefer to make individual spanned files on the hard disk because I assume that there will be faulty floppies. :D If I have a failure, I can rewrite just that floppy.

I also prefer ZIP because I always have it on any computer.

Antonia
29-03-2003, 03:41 PM
Hi Thomas

I use "The File Splitter" version 1.21, available from
http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/

It is free and very good. There are screenshots and a tutorial on the website

Antonia

raddersnz
29-03-2003, 06:51 PM
You may be refering to WinSplit. Version 1.08 is on the February issue of PCWorld.
However, you could look at the PCWorld site (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,17120,00.asp) and get it there.

Radz:p

Thomas01
30-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Just in case anybody is still watching this - I solved my problem. The file I was trying to remember is SPLIT a very old DOS program. Thank you to all who replied - I found that I had the solution already. I use Windows Commander (if you don't - you should) and it treats zip files just as though they are unzipped. Which is what I wanted.
Once again thanks to all - I enjoyed reading your solutions - mention of XTGold brought back many happy memories (and some frustrating ones too).