PDA

View Full Version : Is this brand new hard drive faulty

mikaelanz
29-03-2003, 02:22 AM
I bought a 40gig seagate 7200.I put it into my compaq and tried to use the recovery disk.

It wouldn't install, then it said it couldn't access the hard drive.I tried using it as a slave but the computer shutdown due to hardware failure.
Other times it recognised the drive as either 37881gig or 0 gig

I have bought hard drives previously and put them straight into the computer and never had a problem.

I did have the jumper set as both master and slave when testing to see if I could see the problem..

How do I determine if the drive is faulty and whats the various processes I can go through to confirm the drive is faulty and not something I've done.It was bought 2 weeks ago from pp in Wellington and sent to auckland.
thanks

Gorela
29-03-2003, 02:38 AM
Hi Mikaela,

Does the bios always recognize the drive when the PC starts up? The 37881Mb would be about the correct size for a 40Gb drive.

Replace your old drive as master and see if the new one is recognised with it set as slave. Also try it as secondary master on the other IDE.

Also does your MB use 80 pin IDE cables or the older type. If it does you will quite often find that the CD is connected using the old style cable while the HD is connected with the 80 pin.

Also is the recovery disk one supplied by Compaq or was it created from a recovery partition. You might like to post a bit more detailed info about your PC like the model and MB etc so that the other people can help :)

mikaelanz
29-03-2003, 02:48 AM
The computer is a compaq 7400 ie 533mhz about 3 years old.
I have 2 hard drives, one a 60gig seagate about 2 months.
This second hard drive is for a computer I am biulding for a friend.The recovery is 3 days old as it was replaced under warranty as the previous one flaked and couldn't be read.

I have used the 'faulty' drive as either a master or the slave.On boot up it is recognised as 37881 gig or as 0 gig.The hard drives use the newer cables.

I have built about 3 computers now and have always put them in my machine to check to see if they work and to install software, this is the first time I have struck problems.

thanks

Elephant
29-03-2003, 09:00 AM
The first step is to ensure your BIOS recognises the drive.

If the BIOS finds it then hopefully it will not be a hardware issue.

Rather than using your Compaq recovery disk try getting hold of a Win98SE boot disk. This will allow you to run FDISK to partition the drive. You then run Format to format partitions you created using FDISK.

Put the drive in as Master. Boot from a Win98SE floppy disk. Run FDISK and partition. One or more partitions. Format the partition or partitions.

Boot off the A: drive again and type sys C: This will allow the computer to boot off the hard drive.

You don't say which operating system you have.

ionic
29-03-2003, 01:01 PM
If you bought the Seagate drive new it should have come with a copy of Seagate utilities on disk. If not you can download SEATOOLS from the Seagate website. It sounds like you have not partitioned and formatted the drive, but this utility will do it all for you, and also has a test program which will prove if the disk is faulty or not.