PDA

View Full Version : PE_PARITE.A virus. Anybody got a handle on this one?

Murray P
29-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Hi All

PE_PARITE.A has come visiting and has decided to stay in our family comp. Win98, IE6, OE6, Trend Micro PC-cillin 2000 (recently updated) networked to a win2k comp, that shows no sign of infection and sharing the net via a router. I suspect it got in via son downloading game files with KaZaa.

Problem is this thing is going through the comp like a dose of salts. PC-cillin cleans most files ok but doesn't/can't clean or delete all infections.

Can any kind soal point me in the right direction of an eviction strategy for our un-welcome guest.

Regards

Murray P

Gorela
29-03-2003, 01:53 AM
Hi Murray,

A quick check of virus sites can help. Trend Micro have a description and solution here (http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=PE_PARITE.A)

Gorela
29-03-2003, 02:06 AM
Forgot to mention that it would be a good idea to disconnect the Win2K PC as it does say that it works on a delayed timer and will infect network drives. Rather surprising that your PC-cillin didn't pick it up when it was downloaded as it was first reported in December 2001

Murray P
29-03-2003, 02:43 AM
Thanks for that Gorela.

Did a search of the Trend Micro site but got a diff page with sketchy info on PE-Parite.B that also mentioned the A ver but could find no link??, then connection on the 2k machine went down. Had already shot the network and the 98 comp wasn't connecting anyway. Noticed the age of the beastie and wondered myself why PC-cillin couldn't squish it and there's no sign of it in the PC-cillin 2002 virus logs (therein may lie the difference 2000 to 2002 versions of av software, maybe?).

Got the 2k machine back on the net and posted.

Appreciate your help :)

Cheers

Murray P

Gorela
29-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Hi Murray,

Did the link in the original post not work for you? The full url is http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=PE_PARITE.A

Hope this works better.

Gorela
29-03-2003, 02:53 AM
Sorry, but you will have to copy and paste as it has come out as two lines and doesn't work.

I tried my here link and it went to the correct page so might be worth another try.

Murray P
29-03-2003, 03:07 AM
No got it first post. I was referring to a search I did before I posted on F1 then the connection dropped and couldn't get any further. I've downloade the files off your link and will tranfer to the other comp by floppy after I get some shut eye.

Thanks again

Murray P