PDA

View Full Version : changing the language on the os?

Sanco
28-03-2003, 08:30 PM
I am trying to upgrade my windows ME OS to XP professional but the upgrade advisor inbuilt into the installation software tells me that the language settings of my OS will prevent to do so!?! Apparently it needs english (US) instead of english (UK)
How do I change that setting into english (US), is there a way or do I have to do a clean install? I would prefere an upgrade which would allow me to retain my old settings.
Please help.

Gorela
28-03-2003, 11:44 PM
It is generally much better to do a clean install than an upgrade but...........

If you go to "Start" "Settings" "Control Panel" and then select "Regional Settings"

Change the country to United States in the drop down menu.

This might solve your problem with upgrade advisor.

Sanco
28-03-2003, 11:48 PM
I do not know how to do a clean installation without partitioning the HDD.
Any suggestions?

Blue_face
29-03-2003, 01:49 AM
You dont need to partition your drive to install WinXP. At your case all you need to do is format your drive first (type FORMAT C: in dos, use the startup floppy to get in) to get rid of ME. After that just boot up the system with your XP cd, change to your cd rom drive (something like this----> d:\)and type "install".

By the way... If you are going to do a clean install, make sure your verison of WinXP is not a upgrade verison, only full verison can be install from scratch. :)

Blue_face
29-03-2003, 01:54 AM
By the way... maybe you can install a upgrade verison from dos, if you hav a win ME cd as a proof of previous o/s, if they ask for it during installation. Not quite sure, I havent done this before.

raddersnz
29-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Do a clean install.
Insert the CD. Get the computer to boot from CD - go to the BIOS settings. Usually F1 or F2 or... on startup. (I can't remember if you can get going from inside ME)
I would recommend having 2 partitions - (C:) = System, and (D:) = Data
You cannot upgrade to NTFS (at least not as securely as a clean format). And you do want NTFS rather than FAT32. There is a nice walkthrough wizard which will bive you the directions and the consequences (sort of).

I can see you only want to upgrade so that you don't lose any files. You could either backup to floppy ZIP or CD, or even to hardcopy (yes, paper)
By setting it up this way, you can even pick French as a language. You can make and setup all the profiles that will be needed (you can still create and delete these later too).

You will suffer less troubles later on if you follow the aforementioned steps.
Good Luck with the install, and please sing out if you need some help

Radz:p