PDA

View Full Version : xp SP1

TiMę:*)
28-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Is the XP SP1 really important for xp users? It seems to be slowing down my comp and i think its causing some problems. do all of you xp users have sp1 installed?

Oxie
28-03-2003, 06:52 PM
TIM

Try doing a defrag. It helped after I installed SP1.

Oxie

Pheonix
28-03-2003, 06:54 PM
If you want any updates it is needed. BTW while updating myself, I noticed M$ does a check for corporate codes in the background.

kiwibeat
28-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Click on PC world above article on this
"Microsoft has acknowledged and patched a glitch with its Windows XP Service Pack 1 update that can cause system slowdowns, but has not yet made its still-developing fix widely available."

The Student
28-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Hiya,

Hey, you haven't really missed much even with the SPK1.....

As I thought, I would be seeing much improvements to my system but...
same old same old...

Big John
28-03-2003, 09:33 PM
> Hiya,
>
> Hey, you haven't really missed much even with the
> SPK1.....
>
> As I thought, I would be seeing much improvements to
> my system but...
> same old same old...

Except all those hidden things that you really need so that when you are connected to the net people can't take control of your PC.

It is always best to use the latest service packs and hotfixes because there is a reason for doing them. Usually security reasons.

The Student
29-03-2003, 06:05 AM
> Except all those hidden things that you really need
> so that when you are connected to the net people
> can't take control of your PC.
>
> It is always best to use the latest service packs and
> hotfixes because there is a reason for doing them.
> Usually security reasons.

Indeed true! Still; one can constantly be to update with any critical and security updates even without the need of a service pack.

But Service packs have all these updates regardless.

In the end, either way, if you want to, you can do each update individually or just down load the Service Pack instead..

Mike
29-03-2003, 09:29 AM
>>> BTW while updating myself, I noticed M$ does a check for corporate
>>> codes in the background.

It's well known that they check the corporate codes... but how did you notice?

Mike.

Pheonix
30-03-2003, 10:34 AM
I have a Linux box acting as a gateway to the internet on 56K for our home network. At the time I was updating, my son was downloading and my share of the bandwidth was low, so things were a bit slow. In the bottom bar of IE among other things, it came across "corporate=false" amongst other info.

-=JM=-
30-03-2003, 01:47 PM
I think the corporate code checking is done from code in the service pack. I don't think it looks on the internet to check.

Baldy
30-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Silly Question 33 of the day............

Whats a corporate code checking, and what happens if they find the said code?

-=JM=-
30-03-2003, 03:02 PM
Baldy, Windows XP requires activation for use. It would be a hassle in a corporate environment to have to activate each and every one of the 200+ computers that they have. To get around this Microsoft sells them corporate codes which when used to install Windows XP it does not need activating.

Ofcourse some of these corporate keys got leaked on to the internet and now there are many people with non-legit XP installed with a corporate key. The most common one was FKCGW something or another IIRC.

With the release of Service Pack 1 for Windows XP they included checking for known leaked keys if you install the service pack it will refuse to install and apparently will also lock you from being able to install future updates.

There are other keys now ofcourse......

TiMę:*)
30-03-2003, 03:17 PM
>Click on PC world above article on this
>"Microsoft has acknowledged and patched a glitch with its Windows XP >Service Pack 1 update that can cause system slowdowns, but has not >yet made its still-developing fix widely available."

Can you let me know when the patch is avaliable?\

Oxie
31-03-2003, 08:18 PM
TIM you might like to have a read at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];815411

sorry those square brackets are preventing the URL. Cut and paste the whole thing.

Oxie