PDA

View Full Version : Apps, System, Programs partition

Julius Caesar
28-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi,

I'm slightly puzzled, as I've noticed on some PC's that there are partiton [drives] which are called: Apps; System; (something else, I' can't remember) anyway, If systems are like this, then how does it all work?

You see, when you install Windows, it doesn't ask for you to put all the system files in a separate partition, and other windows programs to the Apps partition?

If i'm mistaken, then how do you go about doing this so that all system files are in the system partition and the application files are in the apps...etc...

Hope its all sense to everyone!

Cheers

kiwibeat
28-03-2003, 06:17 PM
C: drive is used for your operating system or O/S also applications software etc are generally installed there though iif you run out of space then you can choose to install them in other partitions .
I keep my C: to about 8 gigs easier to backup and defrag and it means less scan time etc data divx music etc are stored else where on D: or E: drives so they are safe regardless if I have to reformat or reinstall the O/S .

Julius Caesar
28-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Hi Kiwibeat,

Ok, so far so good, but............

> C: drive is used for your operating system or O/S
> also applications software etc are generally
> installed there though iif you run out of space then
> you can choose to install them in other partitions .

So why do systems bother having a partition drive called APPS and System, if either won't be of any use until, each has reached it's full capacity?

At home, I have Partition C for my WinXP and Partition D for 2000. And Partition O for Office XP setup files etc.. but If I had a partition called System, would then I have to copy all the system files from Windows to that partition and still operating successfully?

tweak\'e
28-03-2003, 07:41 PM
> but If I had a partition called System, would then I have to copy all the system files from Windows to that partition and still operating successfully?

you can call the partition any name you want and put almost anything you like in it. see the partition faq's.