PDA

View Full Version : Why the price of laptop and Digi camera are very expenxive in NZ?

zkeasy
28-03-2003, 04:24 PM
I find out the price of laptop and Digi camera in NZ are more expensive than overseas, especially compare with HK or Japan. Why there are no body do the business to import these kind of products into NZ? I think it should can earn money. Who knows what kind of licience or something like that need for import these kind of products from overseas?

honeylaser
28-03-2003, 04:50 PM
> I find out the price of laptop and Digi camera in NZ
> are more expensive than overseas, especially compare
> with HK or Japan.

Goods & Services Tax is the main one.

> Why there are no body do the
> business to import these kind of products into NZ? I
> think it should can earn money.

After paying tax, freight and customs charges for importing electronics, not to mention ensuring that all items are the correct voltage for NZ and have the correct plugs, plus your time and labour, it's not going to be a lot cheaper.

> Who knows what kind
> of licience or something like that need for import
> these kind of products from overseas?

customs.govt.nz commerical importers page (http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/commercial+importers/default.asp)

Billy T
28-03-2003, 05:00 PM
I did the calculation on US prices recently honeylaser, and reached the same conclusion.

Also direct imports may not be specced for New Zealand, though I don't see that as a big issue.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

bk T
28-03-2003, 05:11 PM
It's because we have a relatively small population and importers can't place a big (quantity) order so as to get a good discount. And, retailers here usually have a very high profit margin mark up in order to survive because of the lower turn over. Of course, GST is another contributing factor!

It's not only laptops and digi cameras are much more expensive in NZ, in fact, most of the commodities in NZ are much more expensive than those in Asia. Probably, only cars and properties (houses) are much cheaper over here. And, of course, the air over here is much, much fresher than HK, Taiwan, etc.

Starting a small business in NZ is not easy, at all. Our market is just too small.

Well, that's it. You can't have the best of everything in life! The choice is yours.

Cheers

honeylaser
28-03-2003, 05:23 PM
> I did the calculation on US prices recently
> honeylaser, and reached the same conclusion.

I used to manage products for an IT company who imported from the US and Europe, and you would not believe the amount of duties, taxes and surcharges you get slapped with when importing products. It always seems like a good idea when you see the prices on items in HK etc, but even the exchange rate isn't a good gauge of how much it really costs.