PDA

View Full Version : video conversations

tango
28-03-2003, 04:07 PM
whenever me and a friend from Chile try to have video convo in msn messenger, it says its connecting for a while but eventually says that it has ended. I found a version of netmeeting somewhere, and when we try to connect, it says "the person you are calling is not able to accept netmeeting calls" or something like that. does anyone know how to have video conversations without all the problems? we're both using win xp btw

Jester
28-03-2003, 05:13 PM
I have found Yahoo messenger to be the quickest and easiest to set up for voice conversations- you can have more that one video window open at a time to view others too. Has voice capability too.

Great fun.

J.
:D

Chilling_Silence
28-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I do it fine on a shared 56K connection, doing voice and vid using MSN Messenger 5.

netmeeting should come with Windows, or with IE6

whetu
28-03-2003, 06:59 PM
what kind of connection are you on and what kind of connection is your friend on? If either (or both) of you have a layer of NAT/NAPT then the problem will most likely lie there...

There are workarounds however, the details of which can be easily found with a google search (keywords: portforwarding, pinholing, netmeeting nat/napt, the name of your router(s) etc)

Terry Porritt
28-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Also, following on from Whetu check that any firewall has been set to accept Netmeeting etc. Also try a connection with someone local to try to determine whether you have a fault at your end.

Thomas
28-03-2003, 09:22 PM
I have both msn and Yahoo,I find Yahoo less problomatic and video chat works well.
Had a situation with msn where I could recieve vid but chum could not,I got a message saying something or other,copied and pasted message to my chum,he sent to msn,there reply was,never heard of that reply,at that point gave up on MSN.