PDA

View Full Version : Right Click

Rob99
28-03-2003, 01:34 AM
When using RightClick - New menu there are a lot of shortcuts. How do you edit what is there as I have to many and it takes to long to display, normally all I want is a new folder.

robo
28-03-2003, 07:55 AM
I stole this from winplanet:

To trim the New list to just those file types you really need, pick Run from the Start menu, type REGEDIT, and press Enter. Pick Edit/Find, type ShellNew, and press Enter. Every ShellNew found appears under a particular file type, like .doc (Word document), .bmp (Paint bitmap image), and so on. Delete the ShellNew branch for any file type you don't want to see in the New menu by right-clicking ShellNew and selecting Delete. Close the Registry Editor.

I have to say this is a pretty dodgy thing to do, bit scary. Also, the number of hits in regedit in my PC were way higher than the right-click list. The names aren't the same as the file extensions either, which doesn't help.
Be careful. And welcome to F1, good to see another Rob out there.
robo.

Susan B
28-03-2003, 09:02 AM
You have not said what version of Windows you are using but TweakUI has an option to select which programs you want and do not want in the "New" menu.

robo
28-03-2003, 09:31 AM
I did wonder about TweakUI but my machine seems to have misplaced it. Definitely a better option than the registry hack.
robo.

Mike
28-03-2003, 09:31 AM
> You have not said what version of Windows you are
> using but TweakUI has an option to select which
> programs you want and do not want in the "New" menu.

Yeah, I would have said TweakUI as well - both Win9x and XP versions have the ability to change the New menu.

Mike.

Rob99
28-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Thanks Every One :)
TweakIU is just amazing!!
I found it on PC World cover CD.